bad engine vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
Helping out a buddy. He had a bad engine vibration, bought the car that way. He is pulling the motor and it looks like 4/7 cylinders were never working. Other than plug wires incorrect, what would cause this?

I wouldn't think it would have even ran this way. He said the vibration was pretty constant but would decrease at certain rpms. He already removed all the plug wires, so there is no way now to see if it was wired wrong and engine is about pulled so can't just quick put it together to check.

Any thoughts on what else to check?

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
BTW this is a ford 302. He thought maybe the vibration was an incorrect flexplate since the SBF'S had a few different weight flexplates but then found this when pulling the motor.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you check for spark at the plugs and valve lash before it was pulled? Also I have seen the wrong plug being used and depending on the position of the ground strap on the plug it could get hit by the piston. I have also seen a Ford engine that had two plugs that sat too deep from some work done to the heads and they got hit by the piston which killed those plugs

Last edited:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Check timing? My 496 made had a similiar issue. Turns out it was wayyyy too advanced.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm not a small block Ford expert by any stretch, but I think I have read they have two different firing orders based on the Era of the cam. I think if for example it is a late Era cam in an early Era motor and vehicle it would be easy to install the plug wires correct for the car (say according to the shop manual), but wrong for the cam and you would have that sort of result. For example if it were a cam that is correct for a 90's Era engine in a 289 in a 65 Mustang and the plug wires are installed correct according to the shop manual for the Mustang but wrong for the firing order for that cam. Or the opposite, an early firing order cam in a late model installation. Hope this helps.

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
What he said! Try swapping the 4 and 7 wires, if it smooths out, that is the cams firing order. they make 4/7 firing order swap cams. I'm no ford guy, but heard that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor