bad gasoline? (not!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
Not sure if you covered this but stock the b body lt1 has steel boot protector fron the factory and the #7(I think) wire goes thru a tube on the side of the block to keep it from burning up

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Not sure if you covered this but stock the b body lt1 has steel boot protector fron the factory and the #7(I think) wire goes thru a tube on the side of the block to keep it from burning up
I’ve got them arranged and tied away from the header tubes as much as possible. The burned spots were basically where direct contact had been. For some reason I thought header wrap and wire sleeves would do the job. Nope, they didn’t. Should be ok so long as I can maintain some air gaps.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
What a mess those wires were. Now you can go back to the NGK plugs. They are WAY better than Delcos.
Actually I’m going to stick with the delco double platinum. The resistance on them is roughly 1500 ohms. The NGK TR55’s resistance is 4500k. I conclude that as less chance for misfire and considering that’s what the manufacturer specified for this engine, maybe there’s a reason.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
To conclude the case.

With the damaged wires replaced, new application of dielectric grease on all the boots and wires secured away from the header tubes, it’s running like, from everything between smooth as silk when you’re chillin, to like a bat outta hell getting on it.

Plugs were also changed from a higher resistance NGK TR55 to a lower resistance AC Delco 41-943

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not an issue for a race car but sequential is probably better for a daily driver.
I disagree with this. In the past I've lost sleep over sequential vs batch fire setup. After testing with changing injector angles, injector size, fuel pressure and the like I came up with that sequential injection has only one large benefit - it makes your injectors larger by only requiring one closed event at WOT, rather than 2. But if you have enough injector, then you won't see any improvements in fuel economy or performance. I have to add though, I've only played with this with a Holley and Megasquirt engine management systems.

My $.02.

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I disagree with this. In the past I've lost sleep over sequential vs batch fire setup. After testing with changing injector angles, injector size, fuel pressure and the like I came up with that sequential injection has only one large benefit - it makes your injectors larger by only requiring one closed event at WOT, rather than 2. But if you have enough injector, then you won't see any improvements in fuel economy or performance. I have to add though, I've only played with this with a Holley and Megasquirt engine management systems.

My $.02.
Honestly, when it comes to me saying anything about the difference between batch and sequential, I’m only regurgitating what I read somewhere else. So you’re obviously more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

As for the Optispark system as delivered by GM, it hasn’t failed me yet and we have two LT1 cars running it. It is in a bad spot if you have water pump leaks or oil seals leaking in the front. But with proper precautions and proper maintenance, it can give good service. I run a fittings in the water pump weep holes with a hose that runs down to the k member on both cars. If the water pumps leak from the weep holes, it will drip out underneath the car rather than on top of the opti. The 96 vette opti is vented from the factory. The 94 LT1 in the Malibu we converted to vented.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor