Battery keeps dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayabrusa

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2015
did you do a parasitic draw test on your system? Only takes a small draw to kill the batteries and it will give you alot of grief!
We have customers constantly coming in with so called defective batteries just to find out they have a draw in the charging system, about 70 percent of batteries returned are not defective that is why we always charge and retest before writing off the battery.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
once my dome light blew but did not do a clean break in the filament so it kept draining my battery it took me 6 months to trace it back to that bulb maybe something like that ? Good luck in finding out the issue have a good day Jeff from Winnipeg

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It doesn't seem to be a parasitic drain. Even right after fully recrarging the battery the starter will drain it in a few cranks.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
It doesn't seem to be a parasitic drain. Even right after fully recrarging the battery the starter will drain it in a few cranks.
oh yeah, that's definitely a bad battery. the issues being brought up is "what's causing the bad batteries?"
as you may know, you can have full 12.8 voltage and 0 amps

and a bad starter should not be killing a new battery that fast. the only way I can think it is if the starter relay circuit is staying energized at all times. as Jeff and Haya pointed, parasitic/vampire draw can be undetected and kill a battery. bad grounds will also do it.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I think you have both. New battery first, then see what the voltage does while cranking. Another good "test" is to turn the headlights on then crank the vehicle. If they go out, you have a bad positive, or more likely, negative connection. They will dim SLIGHTLY of course, but shouldn't go out.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The dome and underdash lights still worked after sitting all winter. I replaced the bulb in my done light with a LED bulb. I did use a volt meter to test all the fuses in the fuse block to see if any circuits were still live with the ignition in the off position. None of them seemed to be.

I have the negative battery cable connected to a starter mounting bolt. A ground cable from thd same starter bolt to the frame. A ground from the negative battey connector to the fender. Another ground from from thd engine to the firewall.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The dome and underdash lights still worked after sitting all winter. I replaced the bulb in my done light with a LED bulb. I did use a volt meter to test all the fuses in the fuse block to see if any circuits were still live with the ignition in the off position. None of them seemed to be.

I have the negative battery cable connected to a starter mounting bolt. A ground cable from thd same starter bolt to the frame. A ground from the negative battey connector to the fender. Another ground from from thd engine to the firewall.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Took a look under the car at the starter and found the insulation has melted on the cable running from the mini motor to the solenoid. Not a good sign.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Took a look under the car at the starter and found the insulation has melted on the cable running from the mini motor to the solenoid. Not a good sign.
uh-huh. so either it's:
1) pulling excessive amperage
2) constantly pulling amperage
3) you don't have a heat shield on your starter and you should

I won't say 'we told you so' because we haven't pinpointed the source yet, but this is the kind of stuff we were talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor