battery tender

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I know this is an old thread, but I respect your options on why the normal size tender is crap compared to the juniors.
Not sure but I think you're asking why I don't like the full size Battery Tenders compared to the Junior versions? Because I had 4 of them over the years and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them sh*t the bed before the "storage season" was even over with. Never had a problem with the Juniors with the glass mat or lead acids. Not once. Still, rather have a CTEK as a very decent mid-priced battery tender.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I use this and extended the wires as needed, it is mounted and wired into the engine compartment of the car . Works good and over the winter i run the cord extension cord to it from underneath so the hood can stay shut
Screenshot_20221107-190326_Chrome.jpg

87 Monte Carlo SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 30, 2022
Not sure but I think you're asking why I don't like the full size Battery Tenders compared to the Junior versions? Because I had 4 of them over the years and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them sh*t the bed before the "storage season" was even over with. Never had a problem with the Juniors with the glass mat or lead acids. Not once. Still, rather have a CTEK as a very decent mid-priced battery tender.
Thank you that is what I wanted to know

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just an opinion about using a battery tender vs. disconnecting-

If your parked period is a couple of weeks or a month, disconnecting may not be a terrible way to go. But if you live up north where winters and cars get poked in a garage for the winter for 3-4 months, a tender might be something to consider.

Battery tendered cars typically seem to have less issues with them as they are essentially always fully charged and ready to go. I never used to use tenders, but when I did start using them, I've had batteries last a lot longer, a couple of them rated for 60 month last nearly 8 years. It's not lab data, but it's anectdotal evidence for me.

I'll use a tender because 1) it requires no fugging around with the cables, just clip it on and plug it in, 30 seconds of effort, doesn't use a lot of electricity to maintain the charge over the winter, and 2) it maintains the battery at peak power to just jump in and fire up the vehicle. Also a 3rd, if you have the more modern cars/trucks that would otherwise have to re-learn BCM and ECM parameters and resetting power windows and all that.

While the AGM batteries have been a great advancement, you should keep them charged up. But the lead acids are the WORST to let sit. They will discharge over time, even when disconnected, and the sulfation debris will gradually build up from the bottom of the battery and could cause bridging across the cells, rendering your battery pretty much useless if it gets too bad. AGMs will discharge as well, but seemingly not as bad. In either case, you will need to charge the battery periodically if it's just sitting there. Also, the longer they sit between charges, the less capacity they seem to hold even after charging.

Repeated connecting and disconnecting can wear out the lead threads on the terminals the more you do it, and it would be harder to maintain a good, tight connection. Not to mention more re-tightening, risking more of a chance of stripping out the threads.

The main thing is, you do you. Whatever has been working for you in the past and whatever makes you most comfortable, just do it. But if you haven't used a tender yet, it's something you may want to consider.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I guess it depends on how long the vehicle is sitting, I've disconnected the ground side over buying a tender.
A few guys I know said that tenders dried out their batteries. I charge and disconnect the ground. I also try and drive mine for a few minutes when the weather isn’t terrible.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
A few guys I know said that tenders dried out their batteries. I charge and disconnect the ground. I also try and drive mine for a few minutes when the weather isn’t terrible.
Same thing I do with my C5Z06, I'll leave it disconnected and hook it up real quick for a drive.

87 Monte Carlo SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 30, 2022
Just an opinion about using a battery tender vs. disconnecting-

If your parked period is a couple of weeks or a month, disconnecting may not be a terrible way to go. But if you live up north where winters and cars get poked in a garage for the winter for 3-4 months, a tender might be something to consider.

Battery tendered cars typically seem to have less issues with them as they are essentially always fully charged and ready to go. I never used to use tenders, but when I did start using them, I've had batteries last a lot longer, a couple of them rated for 60 month last nearly 8 years. It's not lab data, but it's anectdotal evidence for me.

I'll use a tender because 1) it requires no fugging around with the cables, just clip it on and plug it in, 30 seconds of effort, doesn't use a lot of electricity to maintain the charge over the winter, and 2) it maintains the battery at peak power to just jump in and fire up the vehicle. Also a 3rd, if you have the more modern cars/trucks that would otherwise have to re-learn BCM and ECM parameters and resetting power windows and all that.

While the AGM batteries have been a great advancement, you should keep them charged up. But the lead acids are the WORST to let sit. They will discharge over time, even when disconnected, and the sulfation debris will gradually build up from the bottom of the battery and could cause bridging across the cells, rendering your battery pretty much useless if it gets too bad. AGMs will discharge as well, but seemingly not as bad. In either case, you will need to charge the battery periodically if it's just sitting there. Also, the longer they sit between charges, the less capacity they seem to hold even after charging.

Repeated connecting and disconnecting can wear out the lead threads on the terminals the more you do it, and it would be harder to maintain a good, tight connection. Not to mention more re-tightening, risking more of a chance of stripping out the threads.

The main thing is, you do you. Whatever has been working for you in the past and whatever makes you most comfortable, just do it. But if you haven't used a tender yet, it's something you may want to consider.
Thank you that was a interesting read. Even in the summer I don't drive my Monte every day. Sometimes it sits for a few weeks. I went to start it the other day and it was flat. Made me think about a tender. I disconnect the neg in the winter but not all summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor