BBC swap hood clearance, 2in cowl hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Hey everyone, hope everyone is doing well. So I recently finished my little project of swapping a 454 into my 84 monte and the time finally came to bolt on the hood and dash any hopes of the stock hood ever closing again. It looks like the only real option is to get a new hood, is there a good way to check if the 2inch cowl will provide enough clearance in my application? I have attached a photo, the front lip of the air cleaner is a strong 1.5inches above the bottom of the level laid across the front fenders. I have been browsing through the old threads and going down the rabbit hole of goodmark, dynacorn, keystone, goldenstar, and all the others...and as with pretty much everything on the internet, you are left more confused than when you started. Seems like people on here have had good experiences with the goodmarks...unfortunately after doing some searching it is really starting to look like I am going to have to take what I can get if/when it becomes available. Ground up (ss396.com) has the goldenstar and doesn't list the availability one way or the other, so I have reached out to them. OPGI has the restoparts hood listed as being available soon (summit has an estimated ship date of 4/4/22), so I plan on reaching out to them this week and seeing if they have a rough idea. Anyone have any opinions on either of these?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220227_155029.jpg
    20220227_155029.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 116

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
What about a drop base for the air cleaner?
I thought about that, but I am already using a 1" drop base and I am already starting to rub on my throttle return springs a hair and I am about a 1/4" from hitting on my kickdown cable bracket for the trans. Even with the air cleaner off and the stud out, the carb is extremely close to the hood possibly even touching, but it's difficult to see in there when the hood is that close to being shut. I should probably grab some playdoh and find out exactly how close the carb is to the hood.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I should probably grab some playdoh and find out exactly how close the carb is to the hood.
I have been doing it that way for years for checking hood clearance
20171220_200409_resized.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I ordered a Goodmark 2" cowl hood from Parts Geek for my Malibu at the end of Dec. and got it in about two weeks. While my air cleaner wasn't stick up that far, it was touching the hood. The clearance goes all the way up to the top of the cowl relief.

Reactions: 2 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I have a BBC in mine. I also had to order a cowl hood for clearance. I have a Harwood hood and a 14" drop base air cleaner and it fits. If I remember tonight I'll take a look to see how much clearance there is.

Reactions: 1 users

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Pushing the hood down I am about 1.5-2inches from closing in the front, cant really tell if I am just fighting the spring in the front or if I am flexing something. I need to get that front spring off so I can just let the hood lay on the filter and grab some clay so I can see where exactly I am bottoming out, as far as I can tell I am hitting on the under hood brace circled in my picture. Am I correct in assuming that I would gain about 2.5 inches of clearance from the bottom side of the brace to the top of the cowl with the new hood? The brace is about .5 inches think and I am assuming the 2in cowl hood is adding 2inches from the top side of the hood. I kind wanted to go the cowl hood route eventually anyways, just want to make sure the 2in will be sufficient before making the purchase and being stuck with something that isn't going to work.

I have been doing it that way for years for checking hood clearance
Yeah, I am going to have to run into town in the next day or so and grab some...the store out here doesn't have any jars of it lol.
I ordered a Goodmark 2" cowl hood from Parts Geek for my Malibu at the end of Dec. and got it in about two weeks. While my air cleaner wasn't stick up that far, it was touching the hood. The clearance goes all the way up to the top of the cowl relief.
I looked on there, seems they are out of stock now.
I have a BBC in mine. I also had to order a cowl hood for clearance. I have a Harwood hood and a 14" drop base air cleaner and it fits. If I remember tonight I'll take a look to see how much clearance there is.
Thanks
Have you tried contacting VFN Fiberglass?
I was wanting to stay with a steel hood, sounds like you should change out the springs for gas struts if you go with the fiberglass hood from what I have been reading...plus it seems like the steel ones are cheaper :LOL:

Attachments

• 20220228_160216.jpg
    20220228_160216.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220228_160757.jpg
    20220228_160757.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor