BBC swap hood clearance, 2in cowl hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You might as well just get a 4" cowl that way you will be ready for future upgrades.

Reactions: 2 users

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Out of curiosity, what intake manifold are you using?
Its one of those old twisted torkers.

You might as well just get a 4" cowl that way you will be ready for future upgrades.
Haha yeah, the 4 inchers are a little more aggressive looking than I'd like to go if at all possible. Probably be quite some time before I change anything on the motor unless necessary, I have some other projects that could use some money and attention.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a Glasstek Sunoco hood that fits pretty well, but no BB here, only crap mounted on top of the intake.

The additional air flow in the engine bay created by a cowl hood is well worth the cost. Overheating sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I measured mine tonight. I have 1.5" clearance at the front of the air cleaner. Again this is with a drop base.

Reactions: 1 user

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
So I finally got my hands on some playdoh and made a couple cardboard templates for some shorter filters, and was messing around with a few different lids and bases that I had. I was able to find a combo with the 2in filter template that leaves me with a strong 1/4 inch of clearance in the worst spot. I am having to use a solid lid, unfortunately the inside of the filter top lid hits on the tower of the carb with the 2inch filter. I am guessing the 2inch filter probably isn't going to allow for sufficient air flow to make peak power, but at least the hood shuts and I can do some driving until I can find a cowl hood. Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

• 20220312_190550.jpg
    20220312_190550.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 85

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Awesome! Let's see under the hood, that's a great looking car! I'm impressed you got it to fit under the stock hood!

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You are going to suffocate that big block with a 2" filter

Reactions: 1 user

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Awesome! Let's see under the hood, that's a great looking car! I'm impressed you got it to fit under the stock hood!
Thanks! It was definitely a tight fit, I'll snap some pics tonight.
You are going to suffocate that big block with a 2" filter
It's like 383_GrandPrix said, it's been along time since I have driven the car and I at least want to be able to cruise around a bit until I get the hood thing sorted. The only other option I could see possibly working is something like https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-764 or https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-751 but they are pretty close to the cost of a cowl hood and I'm not even 100% they wouldn't hit somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor