BBC swap hood clearance, 2in cowl hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I don't think you will have any problem running a 2-in air cleaner. Here is a formula on how to figure it out for example they calculated a 454 that makes peak horsepower at 6,700 RPM it only needed a 14-in air cleaner that was 2.71 in tall here's the formula just for fun

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
I don't think you will have any problem running a 2-in air cleaner. Here is a formula on how to figure it out for example they calculated a 454 that makes peak horsepower at 6,700 RPM it only needed a 14-in air cleaner that was 2.71 in tall here's the formula just for fun

I was actually looking at that the other day, thanks for posting it though, I am thinking I should be okay for cruising around. If I remember it right, it was something like 2.19 inches for a 454 @5500 and 2.38 inches @ 6000. K&N has a weird sized 2.3inch filter so that was one of the size templates I made, thought it might give me the inside clearance to run the filter top...which it did, but the very peak of the lid hits hood brace right before it latches. This lid needs a good scrubbing...been collecting dust for along time, but it works.

Attachments

• 20220313_170150.jpg
    20220313_170150.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220313_170204.jpg
    20220313_170204.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Love

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Thanks, I actually ended up using the 2455 Chevelle headers since I had them. The drivers side fit very well and only required a few small dents to allow room for the transmission linkage, the passengers side wasn't quite so easy, it was pretty tight around the lower control arm mount.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I think I remember now seeing the modification you did to the header where you welded in a different tube, great work

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
That wasn't me, but I remember seeing that also when I was researching to see if they would fit. I gently massaged mine into place with a 3lbs hammer and a torch.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I was actually looking at that the other day, thanks for posting it though, I am thinking I should be okay for cruising around. If I remember it right, it was something like 2.19 inches for a 454 @5500 and 2.38 inches @ 6000. K&N has a weird sized 2.3inch filter so that was one of the size templates I made, thought it might give me the inside clearance to run the filter top...which it did, but the very peak of the lid hits hood brace right before it latches. This lid needs a good scrubbing...been collecting dust for along time, but it works.
You could throw an old chrome air cleaner cover on and flip it upside down for a temporary fix if you still need a wee bit more clearance until things are sorted out.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
I think I remember now seeing the modification you did to the header where you welded in a different tube, great work
So I lied...after doing a bit of driving the header was still hitting the lower control arm mount, making noise and causing leaks at the flange...even after clearancing the control arm mount and hammering the header way more than anyone would deem reasonable. So I ended up cutting it up and moving the bend so it comes up in front of control arm mount. Not the prettiest weld job, but it looks like it will be serviceable.

Attachments

• header1.jpg
    header1.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 79
  • header2.jpg
    header2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 80

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
My question is does the ac all work and can you get the valve covers on and off? I have the big booster and ac and a set of tall moroso valve covers I’d like to use. Yours appear taller.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
My question is does the ac all work and can you get the valve covers on and off? I have the big booster and ac and a set of tall moroso valve covers I’d like to use. Yours appear taller.
I don't have any of the ac components installed, but I don't see why they wouldn't. I had to cut and fiberglass the heater box on the firewall to make room for the passenger side valve cover, but I didn't touch anything inside the heater box. I honestly haven't tried taking the valve covers off since I put the motor in, I don't see there being any issue on the driver side...passenger side is tight, but I am pretty sure I could finagle it out of there. I'll take a closer look next time I am at the shop though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor