Best looking wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
563C3E98-8AD2-469E-8AEE-050B5CBDD866.jpeg
5C1A4822-0DAB-4881-B859-981CA10D7AAE.jpeg
I pulled it out the garage today and took a picture of the car with rings and caps. It is hard to beat the look of those wheels on a white car. I think I need a little drop on the front.

Reactions: 1 users

6door74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2016
Maryland
I've had a few different sets on my car. The mid-late 80's IROC's, then Xtreme wheels, now I have these going on and I'm kinda partial to them :D They are 18x9.5 for all four corners

View attachment 85631

Good choice! I went with 18x8.5. Need spacers for the rear since i got them used and the offset is wrong. The front i bought new so they're good to go.

IMG_20180322_132208.jpg

IMG_20180322_125614.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Though it'll be a while before I can spend for them, I'm back to the wheel search thing. Having a 2016 Camaro front & 2016 vette rear with upcoming widebody rear & new rear upper bodyline kinda changes what may look good.
Used to be stuck on cragar ss look when having 14"s & 15" with el camino front & rear parts. Current 18" wheels (ice 240 panthers) were partly a choice of a good find. I'll need 12" wide rears now & they aint cheap at all in some brands, so I've been looking at a few such as US mags. Maybe the fat 5 spoke Templar or split 5 stars like the Coronado's. Still mostly think I still like 5 star designs. Could consider the rambler wheels posted here or similar. http://us-mags.com/wheels.cfm
There are so many of the small web pro touring look sort of wheels , mostly in black now, that I think they're starting to get a little boring looking now. Especially when a mommy targeted minivan now is on commercials as (the black edition), seems like an over expensive investment in the 10 years from now might be another dying trend.
Colored wheels seem to be coming in more. Not sure if I'm brave enough for candy apple red or not.

While large general forum discussions are helpful as a starting point, at some time it's good to start narrowing down choices & having private discussions with those that have tastes seemingly similar to yours.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Though it'll be a while before I can spend for them, I'm back to the wheel search thing. Having a 2016 Camaro front & 2016 vette rear with upcoming widebody rear & new rear upper bodyline kinda changes what may look good.
Used to be stuck on cragar ss look when having 14"s & 15" with el camino front & rear parts. Current 18" wheels (ice 240 panthers) were partly a choice of a good find. I'll need 12" wide rears now & they aint cheap at all in some brands, so I've been looking at a few such as US mags. Maybe the fat 5 spoke Templar or split 5 stars like the Coronado's. Still mostly think I still like 5 star designs. Could consider the rambler wheels posted here or similar. http://us-mags.com/wheels.cfm
There are so many of the small web pro touring look sort of wheels , mostly in black now, that I think they're starting to get a little boring looking now. Especially when a mommy targeted minivan now is on commercials as (the black edition), seems like an over expensive investment in the 10 years from now might be another dying trend.
Colored wheels seem to be coming in more. Not sure if I'm brave enough for candy apple red or not.

While large general forum discussions are helpful as a starting point, at some time it's good to start narrowing down choices & having private discussions with those that have tastes seemingly similar to yours.

I like the ramblers. I feel the design tends to make the cars look better when set up in a lowered or pro touring stance

Here is a wheel that is similar to the rambler that I chose
These pictures of my el camino are with it having a two inch drop spindle up front and stock ride eight in the rear

I have a bmr 1.5 drop spring for the rear I'll install soon. The current vn 527 American racing wheel I'm using is a 17x7 front 4 inch bs. Using a 225/50 cooper Xeon rs3 tire
Rears are 17x9 with a 275/40 5 inch bs cooper rs3 tire
No frame mods done

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 391
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I'm also on the Rambler train, hopefully by middle of next week I will at least have a pic of the new colors on it

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
When did Centerline stop making Convo Pro's !!???!!??
They are my favorite aftermarket wheel, I have a set on my 65 El Camino

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
ECimage1.jpeg
65wccp.jpg
ECimage1.jpeg
65wccp.jpg
IMG_0408.JPG
ECimage1.jpeg 65wccp.jpg IMG_0408.JPG Weld Rodlites on the 83 el Camino, Centerline Convo pros on the 65 El Camino, and SSII's on the Sonoma/Bravada (But they are moving to my 85 442 this weekend)

Reactions: 3 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
While the 15" wheel & tire combo can be considered dated looking to many by todays standards, there's just something about the look of the convo pro's rim design that stands out from the same ole s*** boring look of so many rims now & needs to be put back in style. In the case of me later needing 12" wide 18" rear wheels, nothing out there ever said you mean business more than the look of a deep dish convo rim design. Too bad though.

Another serious suggestion for someone ready to spend money on new rims. Whether free or someone asking a small fee, there are several people on other forums that can do good wheel photoshop pics. That's about as close as you can get to seeing on your vehicle before buying.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
That is such a subjective question. I agree with the general consensus that the Torq-Thrust style looks good on just about anything from the '60s through the '80s. There's someone on here that has a 4-door Malibu with some newer-style ('00s) wheels that looks surprisingly good. I think S10 Xtreme rims on Turbolq4's car. For me, I've decided in keeping with the period-correct restomod look I'm going for, I'm probably going to do the 17-inch Circle Racing Rallye clones.
bvi-104-7113405_xl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor