Best shocks to run on G-bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is no best shock for a G body. It's the owner preference as to which kind of ride they want. Shocks do not affect the ride height of the car, that is controlled by the springs, unless they are air shocks. My preference for shocks is the Bilstein AK series

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
I just purchased the Hotchkis tuned Bilsteins. Haven't installed them yet but am confident that they are the shocks that are right for the car, based on research and what I have read. I also have quite a bit of faith in both Hotchkis and Bilstein as quality parts so I figured the marriage of them both together should make for a hell of a product.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I just purchased the Hotchkis tuned Bilsteins. Haven't installed them yet but am confident that they are the shocks that are right for the car, based on research and what I have read. I also have quite a bit of faith in both Hotchkis and Bilstein as quality parts so I figured the marriage of them both together should make for a hell of a product.

The Bilsteins cost more but I don't think I have ever heard anything but praise for them. Plus, they are essentially a one time cost as most of us probably wont drive these cars enough to reach the end of life of the shock.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Lakewood drag shocks....90/10 up front, 50/50 rear

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
While agree that the shocks have to be tailored for the driving style of the car there are also overload shocks that will increase ride height slightly maybe a 1/2"+ or so depending on application and of coarse it is because of the added spring that would be the ride height increase and not the shock itself.
I am not saying these are the best by any means but these do work well when you add extra weight on the front like going from a V6 to a V8 these can get you by and they also have rears for increased load carrying.
gab-34051_ml.jpg

rad928music

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks I'll check into those.

rad928music

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Minnesota
I hope I'm not going off on a tangent, but here goes...

I pulled a new set of sensa tracs off the shelf to compare to a new set of KYB's (both for front of a gbody.) The sensa trac could be easily compressed against the floor with one hand, whereas the KYB took both hands and just about my full body weight (don't try this at home, it slipped once lol.) I remembered being told once that monroe's are like that so they are easier to install, and that they firm up once they've bounced a couple times down the road. So I pulled the sensa tracs off my car, which had probably around 2000kms on them, and they compressed just as easy. They went in the garbage, and the KYB's went in. Car rides so much nicer now.

Also, this wasn't just a faulty pair of shocks. I've now tried at least 4 pairs of monroes in the same part number, and they all have very little resistance when compared to the KYB. Also, the KYB returns to full height way faster than the monroe, less than 2 seconds from compressed to extended with the KYB, and anywhere from 6 to over 10 seconds on the monroes I tested.
Thanks, I suspect the Monroes or weak but I thought it was my springs.
I still like the air shocks out back, they seem keep tire contact well and zero wheel hop.

rad928music

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for all replies.
I'm going to try Fronts are KG4513, rears are KG5548.
I might keep the rear Air Shocks, they really keep the rear wheels planted and no wheel hop.
I just don't like the front floaty, Bouncy feel, Ill keep you posted after I install them.
Pretty sure its the shocks cause it did the same thing when the 301 was in it and the light weigh original springs where in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor