BF Goodrich RWL tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I used to swear by Cooper/Mastercraft until I realized how hard they get with age. For a 10 ply, E rated truck tire, they work, but for a street car driven hard, I wouldn't recommend them.

Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
My Cooper Cobras are pretty decent. The RWLs stay white with minimal cleaning. I don’t drive it in bad weather so I can’t speak for that.

My traction isn’t the greatest but I think it’s more due to being limited by the stock 15x7 ssiii rims. I need a fatter tire in the rear badly. They do wear a lot better than the Original Goodyear GTs and later the GT + 4s I had on there.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Im pretty sure the RWL Mickey Thompson ST's on my car are just rebranded cooper cobras. They look good and seem to wear fine. At least better than the BFG's I have run in the past but not as good as the Good Old Eagle ST's I would run "back in the day " when my dad worked at Goodyear and we would get the " blem but not really a blem" deal out the back door for a bottle of whiskey and $25 a tire. LOL

I have noticed however that the back tires just seem to wear out wayyy faster than the fronts on my car. Not sure if it's alignment or what it can possibly be wrong ??? No vibrations or strange noise but they seem to smoke pretty bad when you lean into the skinny pedal on the floor.

This is the 3rd maybe 4th set of fronts I have rotated to the rear in 10 years. So I just go to the store and ask for 2 new tires every so often and put them new tires out in the front and roll the other fellers out back for their turn in the rotation. Guess it helps I run the same tire size on all 4 corners.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
BFG had a tire called a 'Traction TA' for a while that was a directional 15" tire with a semi sporty but still 'all season' tred. I had them on my Cutlass 10 years ago but they went out of production.

I have cooper cobras on my Wagon T type wheels and 2 of the 4 on my cutlass wheels and I've always liked them. I actually have Coopers on my Daily Rainier and their RS2's (non directional summer only tire) on my 2+2 and the cost vs reward on pretty much all coopers are pretty good.

The problem I have with BFG radial TA's is they look like they are stuck in 1994. The tred pattern is fine I guess on a stock 307 brougham but look like they hook worth a crap.

Mastercraft has a tire available in white letter too.

The white lettering on my T type wheels and cutlass is still white but I put all my white letters in.
Yeah, 2.8 60 ft at the track. They were bloody awful.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I have Coopers on my car. I like them. They look good and the white letters never get dirty or yellow. I use the bleche white to and a brush when i clean it up. They look great, and Cooper makes a good tire. Do agree though on the formula they are using now. Not as good as it used to be. JMO

RowdyRicky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2021
For street tires with raised white letters I’ve always used BF goodrich radial TA’s. They’re not the best performance tire but you can’t beat the looks except for perhaps the original Eagle GT’s that came on our cars. This is where many will chime in with their opinions of Cooper Cobra tires and the like...personally I think anything other than BF’s or Eagles make a G body look cheap - just my 2 cents.

The issue: The set that I have on my 442 continually requires cleaning because the letters turn yellowish. I’ve found that goo gone does a pretty decent job of cleaning them up but I can never get them to look like they used to with a crisp white color. The BF radials on my truck stay clean and are a bright white. Anyone share this issue and know why? I’ve read that BF Goodrich sold production of 15 inch tires to another company a few years back because of low volume sales. Thoughts?
Wheel acid and a pressure washer makes white walls and rwl look brand new! DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE ALUMINUM WHEELS, wheel acid destroys aluminum!!

RowdyRicky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2021
I have to disagree. Back when these cars were new, RWL's was the thing. It's period correct and I like the look.
Back in the 90s it was 14 or 15" 100 spoke daytons and white wall tires on all my G-body cars.

Hurst so good

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2020
Only issue is my GT-4's due the same thing. previous owner put them on in 2007 (at 13.5k now the care has 15k )and the car just sat in the garage. I spent hours scrubbing and they only got so clean. its like something is bleeding into them heaviest on the outside edge of the white letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor