BF Goodrich RWL tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Only issue is my GT-4's due the same thing. previous owner put them on in 2007 (at 13.5k now the care has 15k )and the car just sat in the garage. I spent hours scrubbing and they only got so clean. its like something is bleeding into them heaviest on the outside edge of the white letters.
At that age, even from sitting those tires need to be replaced. Rubber only lasts so long before starting to break down (even when not exposed to direct sunlight).

Hurst so good

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2020
Yup on the list. they were also off the concrete floor so Im not really to concerned. 15k but first I need to worry about all fluids and every rubber line in the car, "but chris there original" sure great if its in a museum with no fluids in it. Surprised I got it home. The leaking radiator etc.
The ONLY tires for me, to put on it are Eagle GT's and they are a FORTUNE. I think I'm good for a season and then I think I have to pull the plug and purchase them. Would not be to bad but I am in the middle of restoring my 69 cutlass conv. so money is just sailing out the window. If you cant pay don't play i guess.

Attachments

• 1004F142-6AFA-47BD-8A23-0AEF18E02083.jpeg
    1004F142-6AFA-47BD-8A23-0AEF18E02083.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I guess I'm trying to figure out why nobody goes back to the white walls swapped onto the ss i/ii/iii like so many did when new? No love for the white walls? :banana:

(Full disclosure, if I were being serious I'd admit to preferring white walls with hubcap setups, but that's another conversation...)

Reactions: 1 user

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
For street tires with raised white letters I’ve always used BF goodrich radial TA’s. They’re not the best performance tire but you can’t beat the looks except for perhaps the original Eagle GT’s that came on our cars. This is where many will chime in with their opinions of Cooper Cobra tires and the like...personally I think anything other than BF’s or Eagles make a G body look cheap - just my 2 cents.

The issue: The set that I have on my 442 continually requires cleaning because the letters turn yellowish. I’ve found that goo gone does a pretty decent job of cleaning them up but I can never get them to look like they used to with a crisp white color. The BF radials on my truck stay clean and are a bright white. Anyone share this issue and know why? I’ve read that BF Goodrich sold production of 15 inch tires to another company a few years back because of low volume sales. Thoughts?
I have Firestone FireHawks (now discontinued), my opinion is null because I haven't tried any another tires.

As far as as cleaning, when I mounted these tires (used with white letters super black from dirt/grease) the old timer who was the owner grabbed a rock, yes a rock the a flat smooth surface and with running water & scrubbing at the same time, cleaned them right up. Apparently, he says this tires as well as white walls are actually white behind the black so you don't have to worry about scrubbing away the "paint".

Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I guess I'm trying to figure out why nobody goes back to the white walls swapped onto the ss i/ii/iii like so many did when new? No love for the white walls? :banana:

(Full disclosure, if I were being serious I'd admit to preferring white walls with hubcap setups, but that's another conversation...)

While not on the SS I/II/III's I have to admit to loving the look of the thin white stripe on my Monte Carlo Checkerboards and years back I also ran thin white stripes on my Foresight Ventures "Track" wheels (Torque Thrust style wheels)

P1011461.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

Like these
I don't like either of you anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I always thought the Cooper Cobras were the best looking RWL tire.

Don't listen to me, I like Fords and small engines; my arguments are invalid.

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I always thought the Cooper Cobras were the best looking RWL tire.

Don't listen to me, I like Fords and small engines; my arguments are invalid.
You're Avatar is pretty creepy too.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
You're Avatar is pretty creepy too.

I liken it to the US Mint putting pictures of presidents and buildings on currency. Originally it was done in an effort to educate people in remote parts of the country before widespread media, so they knew what those buildings looked like and who those people were.

This is my modern interpretation of that. I just want to continue that effort and educate people so they know exactly who that guy is they voted (or didn't vote) for.

I'll shut up now :giggle:

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor