Big 3 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Last spring I upgraded from the factory radio to a cd/dvd combo and went from 4x8s to 6x9s in the back. Also replaced the dash speakers with some no name (but not 27 years old) speakers from Ebay. Man what a huge improvement did that stuff make. I mean night and day. Now, at 40 years old, Im actually considering adding an amp and sub to round everything out. Im thinking just a single ported 12" and a mono amp in the 150-300 range.
Would this call for the big three wiring upgrade? Or should I just do it anyway because the G body could benifit from it with or without the stereo upgrade?
My alternator was just replaced with a 90 amp in the fall and I am running a 1 year old Optima red top battery. And also considering adding a 1 farad cap for good measure.
I havent messed with aftermarket stereo equipment since my mini truckin days in the 90s so any helpful feedback on this stuff or any other upgrades for this type of set up would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
It certainly wouldn't hurt to do the big 3. It's a popular modification on the s10forum I used to frequent when I had my Blazer. Also, the wiring is 30+ years old so why not?

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I did a sound system in my car on the cheap when i was 18. I wasnt going for blaring sound or anything, i just wanted crisp clear music with the windows down and the t-tops off. It could have been a blaring system but i didnt turn it up that high.

My amp was connected directly to the battery with some old jumper cables that i had salvaged the wires from. It worked just fine. The alternator needed help though if my system was operating.

The big 3 is a very good upgrade if you can afford to do it. They just wont make up for your alternator.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Thanks for the feed back guys. Ive decided Im going to do the big three when I run the 4 gauge amp wiring. If that doesnt keep me stable (400 watts) I will consider upgrading the alternator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor