Big block cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
Im not concerned with mpg, but I am with structural integrity the the vehicle. So I assume placing an engine that produces more torque that could be an issue. What are somethings I could run into with a bone stock 454, & how could I avoid some issues?

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
First and foremost is extra weight, on the order of 200 pounds for an engine with iron block, heads, and intake.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Your face will hurt from smiling so much from the seemly endless torque

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
At some point you can plan on pretty much upgrading the entire car from strengthening the chassis to a new trans, driveshaft and rearend.
Most stock big blocks don't stay stock for long when the need for power kicks in, so plan ahead.
The first big block I put in my Monte was a mild iron headed 454 I built for a guy's Nova, later on I built a 496 out that block and went with Dart aluminum heads
and of coarse now I have my 565 BBC in there with a Merlin Race block and AFR heads, as you can see in my case they just keep getting bigger.
Nothing quite fills up your engine bay like a BBC in a Gbody and believe me they can look impressive when you open the hood.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
I would(and did) reinforce the frame with any engine. Big block, small block, LS or turbo 6 will all benefit from a stiffer frame.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you have a welder or access to one this will be the least expensive upgrade you can do in comparison to everything else, it is just time and materials.
Could you get by without it, possibly but the big block will reveal any frame weakness relatively quickly once you start having fun with it and many frames
besides being 30+ years old will have worn out or missing body mounts along with the possibility of the notorious rear frame rail rot.

Alex41

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2013
Hendersonville TN
Big blocks aren't known for their outstanding oiling systems either.
We had a friend with a cam, intake, carb, and headers big block let his wife start the car one day and she went straight for the throttle. All we heard was the bendix of the starter, then a vroom, then a squeak as it all went silent. :(

Honestly, in this technological day of LS based builds, why bother. LS motors can achieve over 454 ci and still be in "small block" form while retaining the all aluminum weight savings and can easily go over 1000 hp with a turbo or blower set up.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Alex41 said:
Honestly, in this technological day of LS based builds, why bother. LS motors can achieve over 454 ci and still be in "small block" form while retaining the all aluminum weight savings and can easily go over 1000 hp with a turbo or blower set up.
But at what cost? In a perfect world a built LS would probably be the way to go but I would rather see a ginormous slab of cast iron in these cars vs another LS swap. A bone stock 454 is plenty motor for the street but you start throwing parts at it and its game over. The funnest car I ever rode in was a 502 Monte Carlo g body and that was all I needed to persuade me. Nothing against the small blocks and LS engines but for an old car you cant beat a big block(any make). This is just my opinion.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
dr78442 said:
Your face will hurt from smiling so much from the seemly endless torque

True. I love mine, that's why I'm having another one built, for a B-body this time though. Also, the Buick big blocks are the lightest of them all and they make gobs of torque. Not to mention, nothing sounds better than a lopey-idling big block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor