big block headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
Well I check out over on maliburacing.com about headers for a big block. They said hooker headers and I tried there headers with no luck. Hooker is the top of the line headers so now I am kind of lost on what to get now. THey did not fit right and I scrapped them up to hell trying to get them in with no luck. Am I now stuck with customer headers or is there a possibility to get them to fit.

The engine is a 402 and it is in a 1986 El Camino.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The Hooker headers fit great on a BBC.

I helped a buddy put a set on his Malibu a few years ago, and we had to do a little cleanancing between the flanges of the tubes that slip in, but otherwise they fit great. We also layed them in the engine compartment before putting the motor in, cause we had heard that it was next to impossible to snake them in otherwise.

So what problems did you run into?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I heard if your body mounts are old it can cause clearance problems. Maybe you need new body mounts?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Do what I did...

Pull the motor back out, lay the headers in the engine compartment, and then lower the motor back into place. They fit like a glove.

Just to be sure, you've got new motor mounts in there, right? They're essential to getting the most out of the tight clearances you'll encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor