Black out thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana
So most of you know, that i love the black out look , and i was trying to find some way to paint the plastic chrome on the doors and even the ones on the rocker panels or the lower part of car, so i came up with this thought, dupli color sells a shadow paint that paints chrome to a black chrome, what you guys think?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/DC-shadow.aspx
or rustoleum makes a black out paint?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... GcQ8wIwAQ#
I dont have the extra money to send my stuff off to have it done at a shop so this is where i was leaning, what you guys think?
Ethan

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I'd paint a sample and see how it really looks just on a scrap piece of trim from the junkyard or something. Then if it looks well enough, I'd paint an inconspicuous spot that you won't really notice if it looks bad on your car and drive it around for a while and see if it holds up and still looks good.

Then I'd go all out... Something tells me that it won't hold up very well and I bet it's nearly impossible to touch up. I could be wrong though I've never tried that specific stuff, but it seems like a lot of "specialty" finishes that come in rattle cans don't really work as good as they say on the package. Now good old original Rustoleum that stuff is as tried and true as duct tape. :rofl:

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana
see i have worried about that too, the way it would hold up and how it would look, didnt no if anyone has maybe tried it...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Mr brother had some luck with the Duplicolor but it was small trim pieces. I would NEVER use anything from Rustoleum.

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Or you could just remove the trim...

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana
FE3X CLONE said:
Or you could just remove the trim...
can you offer any help with getting the trim thats on there now off? I m talking like the door pieces and the one in the engine bay and the one around the rear window

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I used the Duplicolor Shadow kit on my bumpers. Didn't look good. It looked more of a green against the satin black the car was.

Bigge91

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2011
Marion Indiana
jrm81bu said:
I used the Duplicolor Shadow kit on my bumpers. Didn't look good. It looked more of a green against the satin black the car was.
wow i wonder why, everything ive seen on it has seemed to be good...thats odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor