HELP Blazer Brakes & G Outer Tie Rod Ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's the temporary rig on the 10019
20180506_115758.jpg

Here's the 10207; the hole is still too high
20180506_120656.jpg

1 washer under the nut brings it into a more comfortable range
20180506_121646.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you use the Loctite blue threadlocker that actually hold the nut better then a cotter pin. Years ago when loctite was not available to consumers we used it on aircraft. I went to a seminar before we began using it and saw the tests they did. The use measured frequency and the nylon locked nuts loosened at certain frequency, then they raised the frequency till the nut broke off the head and tail of the cotter pin which was properly installed. The nut with the loctite never loosened. When we used loctite we had to clean the threads with loctite cleaner even though the bolts and nuts were new. I know that not many if any clean the surfaces correctly, me included, but I have never had an issue with loctite I have used on my cars.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I run into the "high hole" thing a lot. I tap the cotter pin head down into the slot. I'm too lazy at that point to go find a washer.
Yup, that's the problem: I'm sick of it.
I put some Grade 8 washers under the nuts of the 10019s to get me back on the road for now.
There's a good 1/4" of rust in the top of the tapered hole that says they're not seating correctly. I could buy a reamer for $90, but then what? Maybe it's my OCD, maybe no one had this problem, maybe there's junk on the market, but any way you slice it, I'm not satisfied. This is bullsh!t.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, a stroke of genius has struck this morning. My buddy with the ZR1 has this whiz-bang machinist dude that's been helping him on his projects. I think I'll take the 10207 Blazer ends to him, and have them rethreaded down to the 5/8-18 to fit the adjusters. I've been looking for a chart to match my measurements from the knuckles up to, and coming up short. The Moog chart has one that's close, but not quite...
Sidenote to pontiacgp: the 10017 shows as fitting squarebody 1/2 ton trucks, FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor