Blocks and sandpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I wouldn't use anything coarser than 80 if the car doesn't need a lot of straightening. Paint comes off quicker, but you'll spend more time sanding out the deep scratches 36 or 40 will make.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I have a DA sander... so that's a start.
What is the soap for in the kits?
It’s for cleaning your hands of paint dust from dry or wet sanding, and it works rather well. Kinda like a bar of Lava soap.
I wouldn't use anything coarser than 80 if the car doesn't need a lot of straightening. Paint comes off quicker, but you'll spend more time sanding out the deep scratches 36 or 40 will make.

If you’re going to use epoxy primer, you’ll need 60 grit on the DA for good mechanical adhesion.
The only reason to go lower is if the car has a stock lacquer finish, that stuff hides a lot of rust.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The Glasurit we use says 80-150 on bare steel, but what you use may differ.

i think this illustrates that we always need to refer to the paint system maker's recommendation.

• Agree

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
If you buy the durablock make sure you get the correct style, they make the one kit for hook and loop (Velcro) backed paper and a kit for adhesive backed paper.

• Agree

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
Do it with a DA and 80 grit. Do 1 panel at a time and dont touch the bare metal with your bare hands, put it into epoxy primer that day. surface rust can begin in hours. doing it this way you can guarantee fresh clean steel for a good epoxy primer to grab onto, then you never have to worry about that panel surface rusting again. the next day you can wet down the panel with wax n grease remover and be able to see any areas of concern. circle any spot with a grease pen so when the wax n grease dries off you will see the spots in need. You dont need to get 1/2 your car in bare metal and have life happen and before you know it its 2 weeks later and now car is 1/2 paint and 1/2 surface rust.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Do it with a DA and 80 grit. Do 1 panel at a time and dont touch the bare metal with your bare hands, put it into epoxy primer that day. surface rust can begin in hours. doing it this way you can guarantee fresh clean steel for a good epoxy primer to grab onto, then you never have to worry about that panel surface rusting again. the next day you can wet down the panel with wax n grease remover and be able to see any areas of concern. circle any spot with a grease pen so when the wax n grease dries off you will see the spots in need. You dont need to get 1/2 your car in bare metal and have life happen and before you know it its 2 weeks later and now car is 1/2 paint and 1/2 surface rust.
This is what I planned on doing!
Thank you all who responded
I will try to document it as I go along in my build thread.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
These two videos are pretty informative on ways to strip the car to bare metal.

Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor