Brake Problems, Now With Added Shifter issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Still can't get it. The fuse panel, steering column, pedal assembly, and the lower part of the dash are all in the way. I've stopped myself before I set the car on fire

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Still can't get it. The fuse panel, steering column, pedal assembly, and the lower part of the dash are all in the way. I've stopped myself before I set the car on fire

I had the brake pedal assembly and brake booster on and off 4 times in one day setting up the clutch pedal so it can be done....and I'm old

Reactions: 1 user

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Booster is in, however the problem remains. With the engine off, the pedal will get hard after about three pumps, but when you start the car it immediately wants to go to the floor again. With the engine running, there's almost no pedal feel at all, it just sinks without any resistance. So what is it now? I'm planning on bench bleeding again and then doing another full bleed, hopefully that cures it up

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
start over with bench bleeding the master and take your time. Have someone with you when your bleeding the system.

pmc03spike

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2014
Washington state
Two things. A) does the hose to the brake booster have a one way valve that's functioning. If you don't have one it may help to hold the vac in the booster. B) you can bench bleed the pedal in the car. I've done it many times. Especially after you've installed it. Its just easier to pop off the lines put the "special" bleed lines on and go to town.

pmc03spike

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2014
Washington state
Two things. A) does the hose to the brake booster have a one way valve that's functioning. If you don't have one it may help to hold the vac in the booster. B) you can bench bleed the pedal in the car. I've done it many times. Especially after you've installed it. Its just easier to pop off the lines put the "special" bleed lines on and go to town.

PS dont do full to the floor pumps. Just like 1/2 to 3/4 the floor might be pushing it to far. The special bleed lines will purge and suck the brake fluid in and out along with the air bubbles.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Well now its kinda funny. With the column back in, pedal hooked up, a good bench bleed, full bleed at all four wheels, the car finally stops...sort of. With the engine shut off, the pedal feels fine. With the engine on, the pedal still sinks, and gives no feedback whatsoever. However, the brakes do work, and the car stops about as good as it can stop. Not sure what the problem is now.
Also, in addition to the problem not being fixed, my shifter no longer works properly. (floor shift) The shifter on the floor can go down until you hit second, it wont go down to first. When you go back up to park, there's no resistance, and the transmission doesn't shift. I can shift it back up to park by manually rotating the steering column, or by moving the linkage by hand from the engine bay or from the underside of the car. As a part of this, my keys are stuck in the "ON" position, and I cannot remove my keys from the cylinder. I can go from ON to START, but not back to OFF, or to LOCK. Very strange things are going on with this crappy car, and I'm starting to get real tired of it. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think the master was bench bled properly. For the key being jammed turn the column until it can be removed

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I bench bled the master until I could barely push it anymore, now I can't push it with just my fingers like I could before, I have to put some force into it to make it move at all. I've followed every direction I've been given on bench bleeding. And the column is in park, the floor shifter is in park, and the lock cylinder still doesn't move back from ON.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor