Brake/Tail Light Socket Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
1984 Monte Carlo..

My drivers side pair of brake/tail light sockets are bad.

The top socket doesn't work at all, and has 4 wires running from it...

The bottom socket works with some adjusting but not long, and has only 3 wires...

I bought a new 3 wire socket, and I'm looking for another but can't find one...

What is the difference between the two different socket wiring ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The four wire is likely worn out from someone putting the wrong bulb in it or forcing a bulb in it backwards. Look down the grooves (RED ARROW) in it and compare the the new socket you have if those are worn the contacts on the bottom of the bulb wont press hard enough on the two metal contacts in the bottom of the socket, Those contacts also act like springs to keep it all tight might bend those up some.

Also make sure the ground terminal is not bent back where it is not solidly against the brass ring around the base of the bulb. (BLUE ARROW)
View attachment 193581

I would test the 3 wire socket out with a meter and make sure it is getting grounded, has voltage etc. before changing it.
I was looking for this diagram...

What cleaning solevant works best to clean those connections/brass...it's dirty more than anything...
20220302_162011.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
A small piece of sotchbrite pad and a pair of hemostats to knock that heavy stuff off, then some non flammable brake cleaner or just alcohol nothing harsh it will melt the plastic.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I bought CRC..

Well, after cleaning the 4 wire socket, I noticed the 4 wire bulb was loose and I folded a piece of electric tape over a couple of times to wedge the bulb down and to the contact points...

Problem fixed...😎👍🏾🎯‼💯

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor