BRF external TCC harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Learn something new everyday. I have a 86' BRF in my 86' Monte, don't recall knowing there was any difference. Guess I could of had lockup in 3rd all this time if I put some effort into it. Oh well.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
images

Yeah, I found out something new. I guess if I was a turbo head, I'd already know that stuff. But now we all should know.

Reactions: 1 user

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Learn something new everyday. I have a 86' BRF in my 86' Monte, don't recall knowing there was any difference. Guess I could of had lockup in 3rd all this time if I put some effort into it. Oh well.
Depending on how you control the lockup you may need to change the switches, the factory switches are NC ( normally closed) and open when trans engages that gear.
For my setup i need to change them, i want them to ground a relay that will energize the TCC solenoid when the gear is engaged

Last edited:

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
What are you using to control the lockup?

I just plugged in the stock wiring, same that was on the CZF trans and original to my 86'. Still running the CCC Q-Jet and ECM (although changed to a 87/88 ECM and ZZ4 PROM). I don't recall the plug being different in any way, I did the swap to the built BRF trans back in 2013.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I just plugged in the stock wiring, same that was on the CZF trans and original to my 86'. Still running the CCC Q-Jet and ECM (although changed to a 87/88 ECM and ZZ4 PROM). I don't recall the plug being different in any way, I did the swap to the built BRF trans back in 2013.
The reason i asked is the CZF (white 3 pin) plug will go in the BFR trans socket (black 4 pin) but it will only go in 180 degrees out (upside down). The locking tab on the sockets is at the top on both, if your plug is plugged in with the locking clip on the bottom its upside down see pics.
If its upside down the empty pin will be top left and that pin feeds power to the lockup solenoid so your not locking up the TC.
20190726_121115.jpg
20190726_121208.jpg

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I'll try and look this weekend. The TC locks up, the trans was also rebuilt, the plug orientation could of been changed theoretically(?). I'll report back with what I find.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I'll try and look this weekend. The TC locks up, the trans was also rebuilt, the plug orientation could of been changed theoretically(?). I'll report back with what I find.
Plug is keyed by the pins not the locking tab and will only go in 1 way into the socket.
Since it was rebuilt the builder may have changed the internal harness to a 3 wire harness since the 4 wire harness is specific to Turbo Regals.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I just checked both of my Monte’s. The 86’ and 87’ have the same 3 wire harness(stock ECM harnesses). The 86’ BRF trans has 3 of the 4 prongs wired, they match the plug. The 87’ is the original but rebuilt CRF trans, only has 2 of the 4 prongs wired. The plugs/wiring is clocked the same for both cars, so I take it the plug in the BRF was changed out when rebuilt, or is this Turbo Buick difference something that covered all years, or maybe just earlier or later ones?

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I check all my 200r4's the
87CZF only has 2 but has 4th switch and temp sensor(pulled out today to install BRF)
86CZF has 3
86CRF has 3
86BRF has 4
86KCF has 3
84OZ has 3
83OZ has 3
81OG has 3
Interestingly enough the same harness fits all but the BFR. Hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor