Budget LS1 swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yea always frustrates me when we get hung up in the letter of the law and forget what the original law was meant to do. Yea they put a lot of 5.3s in trucks but I would not call it a truck engine. Too small and in lack of sufficient low end torque. Every try and tow with one. Also they did/do put them in some cars.

GbodyVet, Yea FI is generally preferable for a daily driver capable street car but you can get and I have had carberated setups that started up well in the cold had great drive-ability ie responsiveness and part throttle as well as good economy. It was a professionally built & setup for my combo electronic choke Q-jet. Not as good as modern FI but just saying because much of our younger audience may have little or no experience with a carb. Many today only have experience with a ill set up for the car race carb that sucks at everything except WOT or an in need of rebuilt refresh old leaking seals carb.

skatepirate77

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2010
I found out in utah it really doesn't matter about the engine just if the car can pass visiual and the sniffer. They do emissions on the year of the car not the engine. Also have a buddy that will pass me. You should some cars that pass out here there exhaust is laying on the ground yet they still pass.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
skatepirate77 said:
I found out in utah it really doesn't matter about the engine just if the car can pass visiual and the sniffer. They do emissions on the year of the car not the engine. Also have a buddy that will pass me. You should some cars that pass out here there exhaust is laying on the ground yet they still pass.

wished it was like that around here...I have to find and adapt all the emissions equipment for my LS1 swap, And it cannot be from a truck...

skatepirate77

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2010
85GPLef41 said:
skatepirate77 said:

wished it was like that around here...I have to find and adapt all the emissions equipment for my LS1 swap, And it cannot be from a truck...

I just found out last week I could use all my original emissions stuff to pass the sniffer. Yeah for emissions right? :puke: :blam:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
dogshit said:
GbodyVet, Yea FI is generally preferable for a daily driver capable street car but you can get and I have had carberated setups that started up well in the cold had great drive-ability ie responsiveness and part throttle as well as good economy. It was a professionally built & setup for my combo electronic choke Q-jet. Not as good as modern FI but just saying because much of our younger audience may have little or no experience with a carb. Many today only have experience with a ill set up for the car race carb that sucks at everything except WOT or an in need of rebuilt refresh old leaking seals carb.

T'is true! What I'm getting at is the cost vs benefit. For instance, the rebuild on my 455 is going to send me into the $3K+ range easily. If I wanted to go EZ EFI and a roller set-up the price climbs with it....like another $3K. If I want to go with Edelbrock d-port heads, add another $2-$2500k to it. Then I can't run an OD trans without having it built to handle the torque.

If you get a hold of a 5.3 w/ a 4l60E you have a roller set-up. FI, modern heads, lighter weight, a trans made for the engine, etc. Of course it won't be a drop in deal like a carb set-up, but for the cost it's not bad.

I think I just want to try something more challenging next time around.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
skatepirate77 said:
85GPLef41 said:
skatepirate77 said:

I just found out last week I could use all my original emissions stuff to pass the sniffer. Yeah for emissions right? :puke: :blam:

You could use your original equipment? The car's or the donor engine? I have to use the newer engine emissions equipment..

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The original equipment won't work with a more modern LS motor, it must be the donor engine's emissions equipment.

skatepirate77

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2010
I meant the donor car emissions stuff. Sorry for the confusion. As long as it is present for the visual it will pass visual.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i have to have it present and be functional.. :blam:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
There is absolutely no way to do this swap for under $3k unless you make most if not all of specialty parts. It all depends on how much fabrication you want to do, how much your budget is, and how much time you've got to get it done.

Oh yeah and how fast you wanna go :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor