Budget LS1 swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I keep trying to consider going this route, but keep wondering if you can really do it on a budget. I originall was going to go vortec 383 stroker. Then everyone keeps telling me how much power the ls1's make. That is fine, but with all the adapters, trying to get everything to fit, etc. I just don't see how it can be cheaper to go LS1. Plus, I am trying to go headache free, and of course there are a million parts for the chevy small block that would make transplanting it into a cutlass super easy. Not to mention, it would bolt up to my 200r4 with no issues. Is it really cheaper?!

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
V6UnderPressure said:
I keep trying to consider going this route, but keep wondering if you can really do it on a budget. I originall was going to go vortec 383 stroker. Then everyone keeps telling me how much power the ls1's make. That is fine, but with all the adapters, trying to get everything to fit, etc. I just don't see how it can be cheaper to go LS1. Plus, I am trying to go headache free, and of course there are a million parts for the chevy small block that would make transplanting it into a cutlass super easy. Not to mention, it would bolt up to my 200r4 with no issues. Is it really cheaper?!

pm sent..

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Blue Knight said:
V6UnderPressure said:

pm sent..

I didn't get it. Maybe you sent it to the wrong person?

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Cheaper? Absolutely not. But it is worth it? Well I think it was. Try putting down over 400rwhp through a huge stall and 3.73 gears on 26" tires, with a stock bottom end, heads cam and intake small block engine with no power adder or nitrous. That was with an unlocked converter

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Hey guys, its been a year or so and I thought I would update you all. I had a non electronic 4L60 (a 700R4) and it didn't last. I saved up and got a "race" 4L60 and kept taking it back to the trans shop for broken parts. My best time on drag radials was a 12.28 @ about 108. The trans finally let go again and the trans shop was tired of warranty repairs.

Sooooo, I recently got a new (rebuilt) Turbo THM 400 and a 3000 stall and I am back on the road. My 7.5 grenaded so I've got a junkyard pegleg in the back temporarily.

euew5l.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
My bit of advice for anyone considering an LS swap is that these motors will twist your transmission to the limit and if you have sticky tires - there is a good chance you will chew up a rearend too.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
OH GREAT!!! you guys have me worried now... :wink: stock T56 or 4L65E with mild upgrades? i want to row my own gears but can't swing the upgrades done to it now. I don't want to spent $$ getting my ecm tuned for a manual trans and it break then having to to redo everything for an auto. My ecm,harness etc is setup far an auto now. MY rearend should hold up for now.. 8.5 posi GN rear and looking to get a hipo driveshaft done 8)

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
85GPLef41 said:
OH GREAT!!! you guys have me worried now... :wink: stock T56 or 4L65E with mild upgrades? i want to row my own gears but can't swing the upgrades done to it now. I don't want to spent $$ getting my ecm tuned for a manual trans and it break then having to to redo everything for an auto. My ecm,harness etc is setup far an auto now. MY rearend should hold up for now.. 8.5 posi GN rear and looking to get a hipo driveshaft done 8)

Do you have a lot of self control? Are you disciplined? DO NOT beat on it, take it easy with your right foot and the 4L65 might last. Same thing for the 8.5.

I don't know enough about the T-5 and T-56 to tell you anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor