Budget LS1 swaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Yeah, I'd budget $2500 to $3500 minimum. The junkyard is your friend.

These days it is not unusual for rich folks to drop 25 or even 50 grand into a car so from that perspective 3 grand is "budget"

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Illegal only if it is street driven - the 100% track guys can do whatever.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
times have changed - prices go up

The prices for EVERYTHING are higher now.

A tank of gas in my wife's SUV is nearly $80, a cart full of groceries is $150

$3,000 bucks is not really THAT much - its probably 10% of the cost of an average 2012 car

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Re: times have changed - prices go up

LS1GN said:
The prices for EVERYTHING are higher now.

A tank of gas in my wife's SUV is nearly $80, a cart full of groceries is $150

$3,000 bucks is not really THAT much - its probably 10% of the cost of an average 2012 car

150 doesn't get me a whole lot of groceries around here ESPCIALLY when you have 4 kids!! :| But you're right in comparison to buying a new car my LS1 swap is alot cheaper. Especially if you're doing it on a shoestring budget! I have about 3k in my engine, trans, used fuel tank, motor mounts, some exhaust parts etc etc. The most expensive parts are going to be the tuning, wiring,fuel, and exhaust.. Though again i have to play by the local treehugger rules...which raises the price!

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
i want to retract my last post on this thread. I think ls swaps them selves are cheaper now because of the after market support, and all the info there is out now. they are for sure the engine to get, i hear about them every where.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Yeah, GM trucks had the LS engines beginning in 1998 - so 14 years of engines in junkyards now. I saw a 6.0 liter in a Chevy van at the junkyard in February (all engines are $279 there).

I never said it was SIMPLE or problem-free, but it can be done cheap. I just dropped $1600 on a race trans so I am near $5000 now, maybe over.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
There is a local guy around here selling a 6.0 for cheap was thinking of picking it if my 5.7 lets go 8). I am posting these in this thread seeing as it's lSX engine based, if it doesn't my bad.. Anyways i am using the transdapt 4595 which i have heard and read that they work. :roll: And as some members already know they don't :shock: Mine didn't , i KNOW I KNOW i shouldn't have bought them :lol: right side fit's with the factory clamshells BUT the left side didn't. It interfered with the lower f body mounted alternator, So i took off the alt and it seemed the mount plate/factory clamshell fit good. I did some research now i'm reading that i need to use truck, Vette, aftermarket accy drive... Instead of buying them i found this kit through Speedway motors. It beats spending a grip on aftermarket systems and maybe even save me from replacing the factory pieces. $$ could be used for more swap parts. :lol:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Vorte ... 42493.html

Anybody use this kit? IF so does it fit nicely? Also If you have a LS1 out of a F body swapped in your ride can you measure the gap from the TB and hood, reason i ask it says it puts the power steering cap a 1"3/4 from the throttle body. PLEASE HELP i'm trying to get this project rolling... :mrgreen:

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
The depth of the accessories (distance out from the block) is different in the 'vette, F body, and truck. Are you mixing accessories? If so, How did you get it to work?

The P/S reservoir looks REALLY high with that kit. The truck alternator in its stock location is super, super close to the hood in my setup. Your results may vary I guess.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
LS1GN said:
The depth of the accessories (distance out from the block) is different in the 'vette, F body, and truck. Are you mixing accessories? If so, How did you get it to work?

The P/S reservoir looks REALLY high with that kit. The truck alternator in its stock location is super, super close to the hood in my setup. Your results may vary I guess.

I'm using stock 99 LS1 F body parts, I tried to use the Trans dapt 4595 in set back plates but they hit the original alt position...

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
I hate to bump an old thread but ill have about $4k into my swapped bu including the price of the car. I would have had less but I traded my 355 for a tci 400 when I could have sold my motor for $500 and used my th350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor