Buick 3.8 to Buick 350-1981 Century Wagon Build

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Blake, try AVAST!, it is a free anti-virus program that really works.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Drove the car around the block last nite! :banana:

Runs great and the trans shifts smooth.
The trans is leaking, but I assume it's due to being filled with fluid after sitting for so long. It'll probably stop/slow down once it starts getting driven.
Just need to throw some mufflers on it and I can really start shaking it down.

Lots of pics to upload... hopefully soon.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Blake,
Good to hear that you got the Buick running. Lookin' forward to the upcoming pics. It should be one fine ride when it's all sorted out.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
It seems everything has worked out, for the most part.

My only question: Why didn't you spray 5 bucks worth of GM Corporate Blue on the engine? Everything is working out so well, so I guess I don't understand hahahahhhaah. Those nice manifolds look a bit out of place... :wink:

Anyway, great job and lots of detail in the photos.

Great job!!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Awesome job Blake! I love a Buick in a Buick. Have you driven it enough to tell if there is detonation? The reason I ask is because I had a 68' Buick 350 4 barrel that was very high compression and it pinged so bad I eventually swapped in a low compression 74' 2 barrel 350, keeping the 68' 4 barrel intake set up. I had read that the Buick's changed the compression with dished pistons, not heads. While I had the 68' motor the only way I could run it was by hooking up the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum, and keep the initial timing at 0*. Your numbers (SO) indicate it is indeed a 70' 350 2 barrel which is only 9 to 1 compression but that is still high compared to the 7.5 to 1 motors that followed. I would be on the lookout for pinging under load.
33378654043_large.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
KrisW said:
It seems everything has worked out, for the most part.

My only question: Why didn't you spray 5 bucks worth of GM Corporate Blue on the engine? Everything is working out so well, so I guess I don't understand hahahahhhaah. Those nice manifolds look a bit out of place... :wink:

Anyway, great job and lots of detail in the photos.

Great job!!

Thanks Kris... I know, I know, I could've made the motor a lot prettier... :oops:
But truth be told it was just too god damn hot outside, and that's as clean as I got it with the 2 cans of engine de-greaser I bought. Since time was such a huge factor, I got it as good as I could, and moved on.
The manifolds will blend right in once all that paint burns off... :lol:

I only drove it up and down the block, so I haven't noticed anything yet, but I'll keep my eyes out once I'm able to drive it around more. I just ordered some cheap glasspacks so once those get here I can start bombing around in the ol' girl!

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Bonewagon I am not sure why that 68 pinged on premium with that timing. It really should have worked fine. My buddy Ron had a 70 GS 350 four barrel that ran like a raped ape and ran great on 93 octane.

Most static compression ratios were actually much lower than rated back in the day. I know on the Cadillac motor I build my actual measured and calculated compression was 10.0-1 and ran great on 89 octane with an excellent quench of about 38 thousands if memory serves me.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Dogshit, I don't know, maybe it had a lot of carbon after 30 odd years. That's one of the reasons I got it cheap, it pinged like crazy. All I know was I swapped it to a racer who wanted a high compression motor and I got his lo-po 2 barrel motor. I added fully grooved bearings, a high volume oil pump, and the 4 barrel set up and never looked back. It ran great, on the cheapest gas I could find. Blake when you quiet it down, do some full throttle pulls and listen, hopefully it won't ping.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Got the mufflers on the car yesterday and took it for it's maiden voyage down to the gas station and back! :banana:

My jerry-rigged exhaust hangs super low, but a little heating and bending should take care of that... :lol:

The motor runs great and pulls pretty good for a 2-bbl.
The tailshaft seal on the trans is leaking, but other than that I haven't seen any others yet. *knock on wood*

I even gave it a bath, since it was absolutely filthy from sitting in the driveway for over a year...

I've got lots of pics to upload... hope to get them up soon.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Congrats! Nothing wrong with a 2GC, tons of GM cars came with them. The average driver couldn't tell you the difference between a 2 or 4 barrel anyway.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor