Buick 350

Just carefully take pictures and mark where everything goes. People say pushrod location matters but it doesn't. Only things that must be put 100% back where they we're are the lifters.
Should I do head gaskets and new timing chain?

Timing chain is probably due. If compression is good I say leave the heads alone. Find a video about the 'vaseline trick'. If the oil pump is opened or drained, it needs to be filled with vaseline so it will suck oil immediately. That is because the pump is on the timing cover and a long pickup tube wanders back to the sump.

Reactions: 2 users
Should I do head gaskets and new timing chain?
Yes. The headbolts are reusable so there's no reason not to. I know from experience, head gasket job on a Buick v8 in a g body almost necessitates removal. Felpro/normal gaskets are about .040 thick, TA performance has steel shim gaskets at .020 that will give you half a point in compression.
Timing chain is a must imo. Don't need to spend money on a fancy one just any auto parts store one will do. Remember, order parts for a 70 Buick skylark with a 350. I chose 70 because it's a performance year, and it was well before gm started kissing cousins and swapping engines into everything else. The 5.7 in a 70 skylark is a Buick engine, no ifs ands or buts.

Reactions: 1 user
To add to Bonnewagons comment, use normal Vaseline in the jar. No scented, baby powder added, nothing. Just straight normal petroleum jelly. Pack the pump cavity full, smush the gears in put the gasket on and the pump cover. Don't forget the bolt by the threads for the oil filter. Vaseline will dissipate in the oil and isn't too thick like wheel bearing grease.
And don't buy salad ingredients with the Vaseline either. People always give me a side eye when I buy Vaseline and cucumbers...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I finally got an engine stand and some bolts to mount it. I will post some pics tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your input.

To add to Bonnewagons comment, use normal Vaseline in the jar. No scented, baby powder added, nothing. Just straight normal petroleum jelly. Pack the pump cavity full, smush the gears in put the gasket on and the pump cover. Don't forget the bolt by the threads for the oil filter. Vaseline will dissipate in the oil and isn't too thick like wheel bearing grease.
And don't buy salad ingredients with the Vaseline either. People always give me a side eye when I buy Vaseline and cucumbers...
This is words of wisdom if I ever heard it lol

1241861 is the number on heads. I have to wait for my buddy to come over and help me get it on the engine stand. my crippled *ss couldn’t move the cherry picker once I got it in the air. I got a few parts off though

1241861 is the number on heads. I have to wait for my buddy to come over and help me get it on the engine stand. my crippled *ss couldn’t move the cherry picker once I got it in the air. I got a few parts off though
Unlike the 455 the 350 never got any nice heads. Just the earlier ones were slightly better, later ones had a .05 bigger exhaust valve. If you want power, porting or expensive *ss aluminum heads from TA that are probably back ordered because they don't have any machinists are your options. However, a set of stock heads lightly ported, surfaced, with a good valve job and cut to use comp 980-16 springs and the new small stem seals are a good start. Minus the porting that's how I had my heads done.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor