REGAL Buick Somerset II

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
it looks like a nice complete car. you can drive it as you make changes to it.
double check the steering column, paint doesn't match the wheel.

Road_Ghost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2018
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Ok, the difference maker was putting in 1980 Buick Regal. Don't understand why it didn't come up under "Buick Regal". Ah well.
I am not sure what you are looking for in a Gbody but there are a lot of differences between the 80' Regal and 81' Regal as far as body style. The 81' and up have a good amount of interchangeability and aftermarket support and shares it's body style with the GN.
Just something to keep in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I am not sure what you are looking for in a Gbody but there are a lot of differences between the 80' Regal and 81' Regal as far as body style. The 81' and up have a good amount of interchangeability and aftermarket support and shares it's body style with the GN.

However, 1981 to 1982 has plenty of changes as well. 1981 was the last year of the "A" body line designation before the regal became "G" body..as a practical matter it mostly manifests in chassis/suspension/brake/etc parts. The factory pieces and hardware/bolts switched from sae to metric in the 81 to 82 divide. Not a huge deal, just something to keep in mind when buying and swapping parts, sometimes you need to tinker with stuff

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The factory pieces and hardware/bolts switched from sae to metric in the 81 to 82 divide.

My 83' Monte still had a combination of metric and sae bolts throughout.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My 83' Monte still had a combination of metric and sae bolts throughout.

Sounds about right. Point I was trying to make is that a bunch of parts that are metric in 1982-up were sae in 1981 down. (Not that every fastener in the car changed)

Those changes didn't happen with the body style redesign, they happened the following year (1982) with the chassis designation change.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Sounds about right. Point I was trying to make is that a bunch of parts that are metric in 1982-up were sae in 1981 down.
Gotcha, and by the way thanks again for those hard to find dash clips for my Regal you send me.(no charge) :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Road_Ghost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2018
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Keeping it as original as possible and as a daily driver, but you make a good point about the overall part availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor