Buick T-Type chassis Fuel Line Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vankitcars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2015
If someone who has knowledge in these parts please chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Never worked on a T-Type before.

Friend was complaining of fuel literally dripping onto his mufflers/rear axle.

So i jacked it up, crawled underneath. Above the rear axle, where the three metal fuel pipes that come from the fuel tank, then connect to 8" rubber hose section, then back to metal pipes that seperate to Left side chassis pipes, and right side chassis pipes...

1 thick (3/8) pipe and 1 thinner (1/4) pipe lead to passenger side
1 thick (slightly less than 3/8) pipe lead to driver side

my question is, on the passenger side, thick and thin pipes, do the pipes change size down the length of the car?
does the thin pipe, get thicker, and does the thick pipe get thinner, visually?

I would assume the thicker 3/8" would be the feed to the rail and stay 3/8 all the way to the front, but it doesnt look the case.

vankitcars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2015
here is the best way to point it out.

does 1 and 2 cross over at the ?? point. and then 2 becomes bigger than 1 visually?
DSCF6640_zpse885dd90.jpg

vader87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
#3 is fuel feed, #2 is fuel return and #1 is vapor return from the charcoal canister.

vader87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2014
The largest is the fuel feed and runs on the driver side of the frame, away from the down pipe. The return and vapor run from the driver side of the engine, though the cross member and down the passenger side. I just did this last month.

vankitcars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2015
Thank you very much Vader87.

I see what I was doing wrong.

the three chassis pipes, that we previously labelled 1,2,3.
looked 123, but was actually
3,2,1 in my vehicle as the same with your picture.

the fuel feed line was resting the closest to the passenger side wheel, so it looked like 1, but was actually 3. and the vapor 2 was next, then return 1.

What I thought it was....

then what it really was..

what i thought it was.png
what it really was.png

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Almost .... :D

As you have the lines numbered in your bottom diagram:

#3. 3/8" on driver's side -- fuel feed (filter is just ahead of rear axle in vader87's frame shot).
#2. 1/4" on passenger side -- fuel return.
#1. 5/16" on passenger side -- vapor canister.

Note 1: #3 in your bottom diagram maps to #1 in your pic of the sender unit fittings, and vice versa. You have them all identified correctly in your sender pic, but numbered differently.

Note 2: The location of the fuel filter depends on year. vader87's is the '86- '87 version (Intercooled). The '84-'85 version (Hot Air) had the fuel filter mounted at the front of the motor, driver side.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

vankitcars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2015
Almost .... :D

As you have the lines numbered in your bottom diagram:

#3. 3/8" on driver's side -- fuel feed (filter is just ahead of rear axle in vader87's frame shot).
#2. 1/4" on passenger side -- fuel return.
#1. 5/16" on passenger side -- vapor canister.

Note 1: #3 in your bottom diagram maps to #1 in your pic of the sender unit fittings, and vice versa. You have them all identified correctly in your sender pic, but numbered differently.

Note 2: The location of the fuel filter depends on year. vader87's is the '86- '87 version (Intercooled). The '84-'85 version (Hot Air) had the fuel filter mounted at the front of the motor, driver side.
Yes you are correct. The V and R label was backwards.

Car running fine now, finished it yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor