Build A Hellcat Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
In a single performance metric sure. But, overall you'll be quadrupling your expenses - at least.

I am looking forward to taking the Monte to the strip this year and knocking off a few kitties... even if it is a one trick pony.

I look at it that it that it's great even with the emissions restrictions and safety regulations that you can still buy a car hauls *ss. The manufacturers have to conform to regulations, we don't and that gives us the advantage.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I look at it that it that it's great even with the emissions restrictions and safety regulations that you can still buy a car hauls *ss. The manufacturers have to conform to regulations, we don't and that gives us the advantage.

Are you suggesting that I am not siding with the G-body? ;) Because that obviously isn't the case. I enjoy my motorized coffin as much as the next nutjob - but, the trade-off is safety.

300hp on stock brakes and suspension is probably the upper reasonable limit. 700, 800, 900, or 1000 whorespowers and the same running gear is just a death wish. There is a lot of grey area when reason gets in the way of performance objectives. As mentioned before, I am at this very impasse with the Monte: for what I want it to do, it should be caged... which in turn makes it unsafe for the street. Catch 22.

The HC is good into the 10s (?) out of the box per NHRA rules.

Jimmy girl

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2014
In a single performance metric sure. But, overall you'll be quadrupling your expenses - at least.

I am looking forward to taking the Monte to the strip this year and knocking off a few kitties... even if it is a one trick pony.
What do you mean by this ? Car has ridetech suspension, 4l85 trans , strange s60 rear end , wilwood brakes , 6.0/whipple 2.9. Etc..... all the stock hellcats I’ve seen trap 120 @ track . They are heavy . Did see a heavily modded one run a 10.3 . If you do it yourself , it can be done pretty cheap

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What do you mean by this ? Car has ridetech suspension, 4l85 trans , strange s60 rear end , wilwood brakes , 6.0/whipple 2.9. Etc..... all the stock hellcats I’ve seen trap 120 @ track . They are heavy . Did see a heavily modded one run a 10.3 . If you do it yourself , it can be done pretty cheap

I mean that it is still, for all intents and purposes, a total shitbox. I am sure you car is clean but it is an engineering abomination. Do you have AC? Legit crash standards? Heated and/or cooled seats? Android auto? A nice sound system? Air bags (dash, curtain, and in the seats)? 15.8 and 13.8 Brembos with ABS? 305mm tires on all four corners? Suspension that is adjustable from the touch of a button? LED/HID lighting? A heated steering wheel (I hate mine, BTW - but it is included)? Traction control? Line lock? Launch control? NVH insulation out the wazoo? Active exhaust? A warranty? And on and on and on... Just look at the attachment - that is mostly just standard equipment in a base widebody Hellcat; specifically mine.

So of course it is heavy. The argument is moot, as the cars aren't even remotely directly comparable other than having 4 wheels in common. All you are is quicker/faster in the quarter mile. So what? Kind of a weak flex in 2020 given that performance is handed to us on a silver platter. The rest is just a question of where you are going to compromise.

And it isn't like I am speaking out of turn or from an anecdotal position here. I have a Hellcat, and yet still build/race G-bodies. This is also isn't to suggest I am the all out authority on this subject - I just expect more objectivity when someone holds a position of superiority. The same way I take dumps in the mouths of Demon owners who haven't got the nuts to run Drag Week and lay false claim to a bulls*t title (durr greatest production drag car of all timez!) simply because Dodge sold them a lie (the 9.65 ET was done in perfect conditions, and not repeatable by the average owner) and they are afraid to be exposed (so they run a private events and gut their cars).

Attachments

• PSX_20190831_092033.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 102

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
my GP can challenge my son's BMW 4 series M optioned with his car in sports mode (or whatever you call it). But I cannot flip a few switches to give me a smoother drive, smoother shifting along with a few other goodies. My GP is a single mode driver but the new cars with all the technology have a few different personalities to fill the needs of multiple drivers.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
my GP can challenge my son's BMW 4 series M optioned with his car in sports mode (or whatever you call it). But I cannot flip a few switches to give me a smoother drive, smoother shifting along with a few other goodies. My GP is a single mode driver but the new cars with all the technology have a few different personalities to fill the needs of multiple drivers.

And your car is fantastic for what it is. As is your son's.

I don't walk into the office, poke the closest barrel-chested guy in the shoulder and start taunting at him for not being as light or as quick as I am. That guy has his own merits and abilities based on his genetics (engineered for comfort, not speed). All that means is I am better at one, single, relatively meaningless thing - failing to consider the sum of the whole.

The issue is some people taking this whole argument out of context. Yes, you are as quick (or quicker) as the quickest fat guy. Congrats - you win the internet today. Feel better about yourself?

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
700+ -HP is an awful lot of stress for a flimsy g body. You are going to need a lot of frame and body reinforcing, maybe even a aftermarket frame. Hopefully there isn't any rust damage to repair.

But installing it will raise costs, along with a good real turbo system, not Chinese Ebay garbage. Plus body reinforcing, wirng, tuning, adapter parts, custom exhaust and driveshaft, brake upgrades, etc. One guy I know on another forum did a stock n/a 5.3 swap in his Monte, he got the motor cheap but the install ended up costing him 9k with him doing most of the work, nearly double the cost of my whole CVPI.
Yep, the rot, a bunch of reinforcing plus way better suspension and braking is definitely needed over the stock stuff, thousands and time right there. A 4L60E is a bad joke at that power level, so a 4L80E, $2500 rebuild plus a $1000 converter and still has garbage ratios compared to a ZF 8 speed. Plus a 9 inch or S60 rear, 2 grand right there. All this on a car you can sell for $1000, hmmm.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oooh. Someone's short hairs are tingling today it seems... :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor