Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Today's progress: Installed the marker lights in the back bumper. I also sealed the bumper cover to the body and the lights to the bumper cover, then sealed the lights to the inside when I found a minor leak. I probably spent an hour doing that, but I also pulled my bins of Cutlass parts out of the garage and sorted them on the front porch. Found all sorts of good stuff in there, including a mint set of the window adjuster felts (only 3 so far...) and the marker lights (again...only 3...WTF?). I also put the driver's side taillight in last night after work.

On a personal note, I spent about 15 hours preparing for a Calculus test over the last few days, got an extension from the instructor and took it at another time, etc. only to fail it in all likelihood. I spent the better part of 4 hours studying for it and doing and redoing the review sheet in the library before taking it today, and spent almost 3 hours taking it...only to do poorly (or so it seems).

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I noticed calc being mentioned previously, but didn't really read any of it in detail... what level is it? I did alright in 1, didn't fare so hot in 2, and dropped 3 (multivariable), partially because of my available time, and also because I didn't have a very solid understanding of the 2nd level.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's Calc I, and the sad thing is that it isn't really something I find too difficult when I have my notes open in front of me. It is finding the time to do homework and trying to remember all of the different formulas and their application where I am having trouble. I have too much crap stressing me out right now with the Cutlass going together (and still needing so many more things), my house in dire need of repairs, my income being down and my Truck, that I need for work, acting up on me. I just can't seem to concentrate on it. Grrrr... I'm going out to change some door window hardware... maybe it will relax me.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
UPS-Claus brought me my trim clips for the windshield and back window today! So, I installed the back window trim and painted the cowl satin black in anticipation of getting the windshield trim in as soon as I verify that there are no leaks in the windshield.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it's "Junkyard Monday" again! This week I will be focusing on the last few little things I need for body assembly, notably the two or three missing trim clips for the driver's side lower body molding, a few screws, nuts and bolts, new backup light lenses, a driver's window stabilizer pin and a nice hood ornament if I can find one. I am also starting to look for the last few interior items I need, like the passenger's side window switch and trim panel, and a decent steering wheel too should I happen across one. Anyhow, it is time for my post-Calculus nap. I will post what I find (if anything) later on tonight.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well... Junkyard Monday sucked this week. I found very few G bodies, and those I did find were pretty well stripped. There was a gutted 86 GP, a 1980 Cutlass, a 1984 Cutlass or two and a 1986 Cutlass. All of them were stripped of anything useful. I forgot to get the window stabilization pin at the first yard, and the second yard didn't have a single second gen G body with a driver's door on it. What also sucks is that I chose not to go to one yard that I later remembered had a Cutlass Brougham in the staging area 2 weeks ago so I probably missed out! I may try it again Wednesday to see if I can find my one missing trim piece and several missing trim clips (I need the ones for the hood trim too.) I did manage to find a good trunk lid weatherstrip which will make it on the car later today. I also pulled all of the fiberglass fasteners I could off of one car, and should now have plenty enough to put the car together. I did manage to get one trim clip off the quarter of a Cutlass brougham, but broke one of the two spring legs off of it. I also got a clip off a 1985 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (baby Caddy) which is a little smaller, but may work on the back half of the molding.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Instead of a hood ornament, have you ever thought of grabbing an extra piece of hood trim and making an ornament delete piece? Cut off the last few inches of the rear of the hood trim (end closest to the cowl), and then come up with some clips/adhesive and tahdah...
Just an idea since nice ornaments are hard to come by...

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
you're my hero!!! I've always wanted to see how that would look, but stupid me never figured out how they did that...duh :x I guess I never put 2 and 2 together, I feel really stupid now.

I should be going to the junkyard soon to get deans regal lights and that trim piece for you blake442, I'll take the saw with me and grab a piece and try it out :D

I guess your junkyards are different than mine. any g-body cars and others, camaros, firebirds, etc. stay forever and he crushes everything else except those cars.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Blake442 said:
Instead of a hood ornament, have you ever thought of grabbing an extra piece of hood trim and making an ornament delete piece? Cut off the last few inches of the rear of the hood trim (end closest to the cowl), and then come up with some clips/adhesive and tahdah...
Just an idea since nice ornaments are hard to come by...

Hmmm... that's a good idea, actually! I have a decent hood ornament around here somewhere that I took off over 10 years ago and never put back on. It was covered in grease last time I saw it (it was in the trunk with some other gooey mess...lol) because the Cutlass was my parts chaser until I got the truck. (The trunk floor is still dented from back then and will never be the same...) If I can't find it though, I will have to try your suggestion with one of the extra hood trims I have in my stash. I still have to find a set of the metal retainer clips with studs on them to put the hood trim back on though. I even have a new plastic strip that goes under it that I got years ago off Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor