Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I learned something today. I can't use a 4 door trunk weatherstrip in my car, at least not the one I found. It was an inch or two too short. I will use it for now, but will replace it down the road when the car is more complete. Right now it will keep the rain out of the trunk. I also put the windshield trim back on, but am not happy with the way it fits. Despite using all new clips, the header trim does not want to stay clipped, and the bottom trim is not sitting flush with the base of the windshield. I will have to reference my FSM and see what clip combo is supposed to be used. Maybe it isn't supposed to be just the white clips? I also got my lock cylinder gaskets in today. I got them off E-Bay for under $5. I was surprised since I ordered them on Saturday and didn't expect them so soon. If I can find the key, I will have to polish the locks up and put them in.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Here's an updated picture of the car that I shot today. As you can see, most of the trim is on the passenger's side, as well as all the window trim. The front end is not finished yet because I am going to pull it all apart again to detail the engine bay and repaint the metal flat black.

l_3a715750359644f8ae52ae19ad70a1ab.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
looks good man wish i was at that step :lol: i like the way it looks. just wanted to give you props on the work.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
85GPLef41 said:
looks good man wish i was at that step :lol: i like the way it looks. just wanted to give you props on the work.

Thanks! It still has a long way to go, and probably won't be drivable by this time next week. I will be detailing the engine bay, and that requires me to take it all apart, and try to: restore the wiring harnesses and paint everything before installing the new overflow and washer tanks, new (used) radiator, new plug wires, new steering shaft, new steering box, Cruise Control, and all the A/C lines.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Today's update: I had a rare junkyard Thursday today, only to be pissed off! The car I was hoping would yield the last trim clips I needed had been stripped by idiots who broke the clips off both sides, and left the trim behind...WTF? I did manage to get the window stability pin I was missing though, and put it in. I also got the power locks working using some switches I found in my pile of parts. I had 4 of them, but only one worked, so I rebuilt one broken one and serviced the good one to get a complete set. I took lots of pictures of how to fix them, and even how to restore the plastic chrome without scratching it. I will probably write a how to in this thread in a few days when I get around to it. The last thing I did was to get the trunk light installed and working. I tried to put the trunk popper solenoid back in too, but I was missing the unique bolt that holds it to the latch. I also retightened the taillights and filler panels to the body, and leak tested the trunk again. No water got in, so I will call it a success. It is important to seal the taillights to the body, as well as any other part that goes in a hole. If you don't, water will get in and can rot out the car. I use strip caulk for the studs which tends to take a set after a few days, so it is a good idea to make sure it is tight after a week or so.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
damn... I don't think I could have the paitence you have to do all of this detailing. Looks awesome.

It's going to be one of those things you can just stand there and look at after it's finally completed, and feel awesome knowing that the machine you have in front of you is a direct result of your time, money, hard work, and passion. Thats the best feeling ever 8)

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
the front windshield clips use the white plastic ones for the lower three studs and the one upper one is a metal clip. On my '81 parts car it had 3 metal clips holding the pass side windshield trim on so idk for sure when to use the metal clips and when to use the plastic ones. sorry for the bad pic quality

clip.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
3XBrownCutty said:
damn... I don't think I could have the paitence you have to do all of this detailing. Looks awesome.

It's going to be one of those things you can just stand there and look at after it's finally completed, and feel awesome knowing that the machine you have in front of you is a direct result of your time, money, hard work, and passion. Thats the best feeling ever 8)

Part of the reason for my patience is that I don't have the money to buy the parts new. The other is that I am bored and have nothing but work, my Calculus class, the house and the car to do. The car is more interesting to me than the other stuff, and since I have no TV (can't afford cable, so all I get is channel 10) the car becomes my entertainment. I would rather be driving it that working on it though. However, the time I spend saving up for the parts gives me time to do the things I do have the materials for correctly.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
350_85cutty said:
the front windshield clips use the white plastic ones for the lower three studs and the one upper one is a metal clip. On my '81 parts car it had 3 metal clips holding the pass side windshield trim on so idk for sure when to use the metal clips and when to use the plastic ones. sorry for the bad pic quality

clip.jpg

I know the ones you are talking about. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy source for them until there is a big swap meet where they have trim clips and weatherstripping materials in bulk containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor