Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's diary entry: I managed to find the key to the door locks, so I decided to put the lock cylinders back in the car, but first I had to freshen them up a bit. They looked like sh*t and were covered in crud, so I cleaned them first with some brake parts cleaner, inside and out. They were a bit sticky before this, but after I cleaned them they were freed up. Next, I sanded the faces with 1,000 grit followed by 2,000 grit paper to remove scratches. After that, I put some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish on the faces and used a cloth buff on my drill to buff them out to an almost perfect shine! The final step was to grease them with white lithium grease as that is what I found on one of them, so I figured it was factory. I installed them with new lock cylinder gaskets and they work great! I also took the time to figure out what was wrong with the vacuum system for the HVAC controls. I checked the engine vacuum, then the input to the accumulator, output to the accumulator, and then the switch. It turns out the seals in the vacuum switch on the main switch panel was bad and leaking. I put one of my other controls on it, and problem solved. It all works now. I still have to put new foam on one of the doors though as it does not quite seal off the floor register when it should. The final thing I did was test the Alpine CD player I have, and test the sub box for a proper fit. The CD player works great, and the box fits perfectly where I wanted it. I also found that a set of 5x7 or 5x8 (I forget which-they were in a 97 Altima) Kenwood speakers I have will work for the rear deck locations. There is a little extra space left over, but that should be easy enough to seal when I do the sound deadener.

I am now almost at an impasse. I need to replace the upper hinge on the driver's door as it squeaks like an old house on an episode of Scooby Doo, and no amount of lubrication seems to make it any better. That means I need to paint it, so I need to do it and the mirrors together. I guess that means I need to do that on Monday since the spot I need to store the front sheet metal when I take it apart is the same place I will be spraying the paint (a screened in front porch). It is easier to change the hinge with the front clip removed, so it is the logical time to do it. I am actually coming close to where I will need to buy the sound deadening and window tint soon.

That is the last stuff I will do before I finally put the interior back in and can call it as done as it will be with the automatic transmission. The 5 speed will bring with it a different rearend, bigger brakes, revised front suspension geometry (that may come sooner though...), a custom transmission crossmember, new dual exhaust with stainless tailpipes, a road race style oil pan, a black bucket seat interior with a custom console and maybe some new headers.. I will probably hold off on all that until fall though, as it is getting to the point where it will be too hot to do the work. By the end of May, I won't want to tackle any more major projects and will instead concentrate on driving the car and gathering parts.

Found a few more things at the junkyard today. I pulled the final jounce bar triangulation brace today and installed it. It was not a pure bolt in however, and it required a little "Persuasion" from my 5lb mini sledge before I could use it.

I also found the wire from the fuse box to the trunk release switch that I was missing, as well as the bolt to hold the solenoid to the trunk latch. I found out that there are two possible bolts to hold the solenoid: one is short and one is long. The long one threads into the back of the latch, and the short one bolts to the face. Get the right one for your latch as the holes are different sizes. Also, the wire plugs into the fuse panel "IGN 3" slot. I wired it all up and it works great.

triangulation brace? what is that, i am going to a junk yard tommarow and im looking to find all the braces i can find.

Well, there are three possible frame braces on the front of the car. Two of them come off the crossmember in the middle and attach to the frame rails. The other attaches to the same holes but runs from frame rail to frame rail. Now, all three are not designed to occupy the same spot at once, but a small sledgehammer will do the trick to make them live together.

My last entry for the day. I just installed my Monte SS steering box and new steering shaft and well... I can't get the play out of the box. On top of that, it threw the alignment off on the driver's wheel since I had an F body box in it before with the slightly longer pitman shaft. I really hate the antiquated steering in this car. Too many links and too many opportunities for slop. I wish I could cheaply upgrade the car to rack and pinion instead. Less weight and better accuracy.

Blake442 said:
Or a few washers to space them apart...

Hammers are more fun! Plus, I wanted to keep it close to the frame so that the distance didn't multiply the MA and possibly shear off a bolt.

Well, I figured out the play issue and it seems to have been a loose connection between the intermediate shaft and the column shaft. I tightened it down with a cheater pipe and it's better. Now I have to get the power steering pump to stop it's groaning and it will be a task completed. I got most of the system bled, but I guess it still has a few air bubbles left in it. Either that, or the pump is bad from being run dry one too many times. I hope it's not the pump... those things are getting hard to find in good shape at the junkyard.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Well, I figured out the play issue and it seems to have been a loose connection between the intermediate shaft and the column shaft. I tightened it down with a cheater pipe and it's better. Now I have to get the power steering pump to stop it's groaning and it will be a task completed. I got most of the system bled, but I guess it still has a few air bubbles left in it. Either that, or the pump is bad from being run dry one too many times. I hope it's not the pump... those things are getting hard to find in good shape at the junkyard.

you better believe it!
i went through 4 just to find one to bolt up properly to my car and the one i have is so rigged up its not even funny, but hey it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor