Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Pasco county, and I think we have 300,000 here. I never would have thought that UCF would have 50k students! I gotta go see that for my self! Anyhow, I gotta try to get back to my Calculus homework. Damn ADD is kicking my *ss. I can't concentrate on it because it is just so boring and i have a Cutlass in the driveway that is calling to me to paint it's tailpipe brackets...

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I live in Pasco county, and I think we have 300,000 here. I never would have thought that UCF would have 50k students! I gotta go see that for my self! Anyhow, I gotta try to get back to my Calculus homework. Damn ADD is kicking my *ss. I can't concentrate on it because it is just so boring and i have a Cutlass in the driveway that is calling to me to paint it's tailpipe brackets...

300,000, that's allmost as much as the whole nation over here :wink:

Junkyard Monday again! Only this time, I didn't go to the junkyard to spend my $50 worth of cash I don't have. I went to the city dump and the paint store instead. It was a sad day for me at the dump because I had to finally let go of the 3 pints of Medium Adriatic Blue Poly Deltron base that I had left over from my first Cutlass paint job in 1994. PPG long since stopped making it's reactive reducer, so there was no way to use the paint. What sucked was that I had paid a small fortune for it back then, maybe $50 a pint because it was factory pack. I also got rid of the original A/C condenser from the V6 days as it was not in the best of shape and had a lot of bent fins from sitting in a corner of my garage.

As for expenditures this week, I bought 1/2 pint of Navy Blue Metallic base, the color I painted the car. I spilled about that much doing a touch up when the can fell over, and it was all I had left to repaint the mirrors. The cost? $37 for half a pint of paint!!! The guy explained it was because it had lots of pearl in it. (There may be no sense crying over spilled milk, but spilled paint is another story!) I also bought $4.50 worth of 400 grit sandpaper at the parts store to sand down the mirrors before I spray them. I am hoping to get the mirrors and the new hinge sprayed on my front porch Thursday after I have taken my Calc test on integrals. Hopefully, I can get those parts assembled on the car next Monday, and the front end detail started too. If so, then by Thursday the body will be complete except for one trim piece I am missing on the passenger's side ( lower molding fender piece between door and wheel arch), the hood strip (need clips), hood ornament and the front most lower molding on the driver's side that I need a clip for. So here's hoping that I can start putting the cruise control and air conditioning together in about another 2 weeks, then I will have to save up for the rest of the interior stuff I need (Tint, sound deadening, headliner, visors, and front speakers).

Sadly, I should have all 6 clips new from GM, but I can't seem to find one of them. I can wait though, because that piece of trim stands alone and does not lock under the wheel arch trim like the others that abut the arches do.

Anyhow, today's work. This is basically a note to self, but I will put it here because it is harder to lose it that way. The firewall still leaks a little water on the passenger's side and the firewall sound deadening pad is damp. Where exactly I was unable to determine because the dash is still in the car, but once it is out, I will have to sit in it during a heavy rain storm to find out. There were two leaks I could see drips from, one about in line with the joint for the suitcase towards the center of the car, and one about in the center of the footwell. Both were dripping down the toe board.

Doober said:
How about letting water run from a hose down the windshield and see where it goes?

I had done that before and it came up negative. I was checking it today to see how it would act in a heavy rain storm.

Junkyard Monday again! Today I got the vacuum switch for the brake pedal to go with the cruise control. However, I struck out on everything else. I did notice though that in the staging area was a 1986 Cutlass with wide lower moldings. It was just sitting there, mocking me, laughing at me because I couldn't touch it. I also noticed it has the Astroroof, chrome Olds rally's and nice taillights. I think it was a V6 (hood was open), but it was probably a Salon or a Brougham. If it is a Salon, I will have to pull the console and buckets. Even if I don't use them, it is not likely I will see a set again for some time, and I can always sell them. The car looked like a real hack job though as it had a steel hood with a cowl scoop that was peeling off of it, and the worst paint job with vinyl top removal I have yet seen. They just pulled off the vinyl, but left the top trim and didn't even bother to try and fill the seam! Still, if the roof is rust free, I wish I could pull it. I have always wanted an Astroroof, and I know I will need to replace my roof the next time the car is painted.

I am going back either Wednesday or Thursday. It should be out by then as they had already cleared a row today and were pre-staging a bunch of GMs on the other side of the fence. I can't go tomorrow because I have to finish a take home test and some homework for Wednesday morning (up at 7:30), and I have a 6-midnight shift Tuesday. If I get the trim piece I am missing, I will still have to try and find the cruise control servo bracket for a SBC as one of my last parts needs to be able to assemble the rest of the car. That and a headliner. After that, I theoretically COULD assemble the car. I am debating if I will or if I should wait until I can afford to finish the sound deadener, front speakers and window tint first. Then again, I really NEED to have my phone turned back on. I have been almost 2 months now without one as I chose to paint the car and "dry in" the shell instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor