Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a link to the tint kit you got? Is it the 3M tint or not? I remember looking at kits a while back and managed to find a precut 3m kit... I can't find it lately...

nice job on your aunts car, I get some little odd jobs to do on my family members cars sometimes too.

Just search for Cutlass tint on E-Bay. I don't think this stuff is 3M or any good brand for that price, but I have so much to do that if I get the best of everything the car will never get put together. I figure if it lasts me a year or two I can just have it redone by a good local tint shop when I don't have so many other expenses hanging over me.

As for my aunt's car, that was a charity job. I do them from time to time when someone I know is in a bad spot.

Well, I am spending like a drunken sailor once again! I bought my front speakers last night. I got a set of Phoenix Gold 5.25 components which I will mount in the factory Regal Concert Sound II setup I picked up years ago. At $66 with shipping, it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but they had the best power handling of the speakers in that price range on E-Bay. For the rears, I have a set of Kenwood Excelon coaxial 5x7's I will be using. They do (barely) fit in the back deck but will require me to fill in the extra space vacated by the 4x10's that are native to the car. Why the 5x7's? Well, I have them left over from another car, so they are free. When you are broke, free is good!. All I have left to buy for the interior is some sort of sound deadening, a headliner, wiring for the amps and a steering wheel.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Well, I am spending like a drunken sailor once again!

:lol: I've actually had that experience before

That wiring gets expensive :shock: , I'm likely to go with a 4 channel amp to simplify wiring whenever I get to there. But you get what you get if you're looking for deals like you said. Are you getting an ABS headliner? they're 1,000% better than the cardboard frisbies, well worth 100$ IMO

I am getting whatever I find in the junkyard that is in good condition and dark blue for about $35. As for the stereo, I have 3 amps- a 2 channel Alpine V12 for the subs (that will be running bridged mono in a 1 ohm load), a 4 channel Alpine for the satellites, and a 2 channel Alpine for the...uhh.. I haven't figured that one out yet. It might find it's way in the pickup instead of the Cutlass. I also have 6 10's and 2 12's to choose from when it comes to subs, but I will probably use the Alpine 10's I have to keep the theme going in the trunk. Plus, they need less air space than the 12's, and I am not building an SPL car. That and I listen mostly to rock, metal, easy listening and talk radio so I don't need eardrum-shattering bass.

As for the wiring, I stripped out the factory speaker wiring already and ran RCA's in those locations, and speaker wire in another location already. All I need to do is add the power and ground wires for the amps. I even have the dash wiring kit already done because I had an Alpine before and the "new" CD player I have now is also an Alpine. Most of the stuff came out of a friend's Altima that he traded in around 2001, and I got the stereo stuff from him then. The install was only about a year old when I got it, so the stuff is in real good shape. I figured out that with the way I plan to wire it, if I actually use all 3 amps I will have 975 watts.

My speakers came in today! I spent the better part of the afternoon retrofitting them in to the Concert Sound II setup I have from a Regal. Pics will follow!

Well, tonight I am breaking in my newly cleaned out garage right. I am finally painting my mirrors and new upper door hinge! This will conclude the paint work after all these months. I will be sanding and buffing it one more time in November, but that is about it. Why am I doing it at midnight on a Monday? Well, that is how late it has to be for the temps to be down at least to the mid 80's here in Florida. Here's to hoping it won't all go wrong, or rain tomorrow morning. My Spirit is outside with the hood off and parts on the roof, so rain= bad.

The wrinkles have returned to the driver's side mirror... I sanded it down pretty well, and sealed it, but I think they may even have been in the sealer somehow. I am now letting it cure a bit to see if I can paint over them and just get the color right. If this does not work, I will have to use it as is, however it comes out, and will try another paint system (Omni) which I have in the same color from last time. It is not as durable as Diamont, but it is far less reactive. I guess I'll see if I have another mirror, or find another in the junkyard if this all goes bad.

They are taken, but I am staying off Myspace for complicated reasons. I need to find another free site to host off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor