Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The porch is about 16x13, and there is no saving it. Every piece of wood has rot in it and it has become a safety hazard. It's also a part of the pool enclosure, so I need to do it. I need to just bite the bullet and start fresh. I am just worried about the county and the building codes. I have heard that homeowners are now forbidden from fixing their own homes unless they are licensed contractors where I live. I can't afford to pay a contractor, so I will just have to hope no one rats me out. It's the last major project I need to tackle on the house that requires any help from others. Luckily, the materials are only about $500, so it won't be too bad if I can get someone to help me. (I am using steel roofing over a wooden frame)

That really doesn't sound right, you should tell them you're building a porch separate from your house in your bakyard (even if you actually are connecting it) then have them come and look at it before you work. Otherwise you could get some major fines

I may go talk to them and see what is what and what the codes are in my area. I won't tell them the address or my name though, as if the rumor about needing a contractor is correct, I will have no choice but to break the law and do it anyways, hoping to not get caught. A contractor would charge about $5,000 for what I need done, and I have no way of raising that sort of money as it is about a quarter of what I make in a year. Since I haven't got proof of enough income, I also can't qualify for a mortgage refinance or a home equity line either (I have about 50% equity now, but it was about 65% before the crash). What sucks is that my interest rate is almost 10% on my mortgage right now and I have fairly good credit, but the lack of stated income qualifying programs due to the mortgage crisis has eliminated any hope of restructuring my debt by conventional means. It's a complicated hell to go through for a simple back porch, but such is my life. If I had a normal job with a set provable income, I could do this so much easier.

My back porch is about the same size. I had to help redo it when we first moved in. If you can, try looking for fiberglass roofing. They come in very large sections and mine has been holding up for many years. We had steel before but it began to rust where the porch connected to the house and other spots. Steel also makes a lot more noise when it rains. Fiberglass lets some light through while providing ample shade. Another thing too is that if you need to make some last minute adjustments by cutting the steel, you'd be increasing your chances of rust.

Well... I may have an actual update today. I am going to the junkyard to try and find a ignition lock cylinder with a key in it for my aunt's Sunfire ($200 for a new one that then has to be keyed by a locksmith, and then the computer needs to be flashed to read the key...really???!!!!) and am going to try to get a headliner shell for the Cutlass while I am there. I have also decided that I will go without the generic Dynamat over everything and instead just use normal sound deadener in order to save money and just put the damn thing together already.

(PS: This is the same aunt who is destitute and has cancer that I had referenced in a previous post somewhere. She has no insurance and has managed to still get care provided for her free of charge and is expected to make a full recovery.)

Well, it was a no go on a usable headliner. I found one in the right color and almost new, but of course it had been owned by kids who stuck stickers on it, thus ruining it. As for the Sunfire, I found a few sets of keys, and bought two (at $15 each!), and will try to figure out a work around to GM's Pass Key VATS system. I refuse to see someone have to pay that kind of cash for a minor repair to a crappy 1996 Pontiac.

That's fantastic that your aunt is headed towards recovery!

Do you still have your original headliner board? If so, you can easily repair any minor breaks in it with duct tape, and then cover it with some new material.

I did one for an '81 Cutlass a while back at work, and the corners were busted up from the fellow that removed it. Our upholsterer at the time had just quit, and as he was walking out the door, he told me how to do it.
I'm not sure how much the material would cost, but it might be worth a shot if you can't find a good one.

It was very bad and I threw it out. I had stored it on the roof of my AMC for about 10 years, and it was so cracked and warped that it was basically flat. There were large chunks missing too.

I'll probably try to get one again Thursday if I have time after I try to fix my Aunt's car. I want to make another run to IKEA, and the Junkyard is right around the corner.

An actual update! Well... a small one. I finally bought something new for the Cutlass. I just ordered the window tint kit off E-Bay for $29. I am doing 20% on the doors and 5% on everything else. I still don't have a headliner yet, but may or may not try again to get one on Monday. It's either that, or pull everything out of the black hole I call a garage and sort it, organize it, and get rid of what is not useful to any of my current cars. I also did manage to get my aunt's car running again, and fixed the A/C while I was there too. She was quoted $1,000 to fix the A/C and I did it for $22. She was also quoted $1,000 per door to fix the power windows-I guess they saw a woman and saw a big pay day. I told her that when she gets well that if she brings me the car I can fix them for about $50-100 for both as they seem to only need window motors. (The A/C and windows had not worked for several years-in the hot Florida sun!) The other thing I did was cut out the soaking wet carpet and punch drain holes in the floor. I figure it was a better solution than letting the water stand and rot them out. (It's a convertible in need of a new top) Plus, she's in cancer treatment and allergic to mold, so it would not be healthy for her to let that water stand. I finished the day off by degreasing the engine, cleaning the wheels and cleaning off the spider webs from under the car.

Anyhow, it's back to E-Bay to try and find some front speakers for $50-60. I may finally be close enough to getting everything together that I can start assembly later next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor