Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It has not changed or moved in a long time unfortunately. Every time I have a day I can do it either the weather, schedule conflicts, or life in general seems to get in the way. I have to paint it on a dry day because it has no wipers right now, but every time I have a day off it is raining, or my helper can't get the day off or I can't rent the booth. It is very aggravating. Now, I am running out of money because of the economic downturn and the lessening of tips and business in general. So, I probably will get a day, but not have the $100 I need for a 24 hour rental of the booth.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
When it does get sprayed, pics will be posted here as it happens. There is a WiFi hotspot not far from where I rent the booth, and I will probably bring the digital camera and laptop to post to this thread and my Myspace (I use Myspace to host pics) as it happens. It goes in stages, and I do extensive photo documentation. I just bought a new SD card with 2gb of memory ($7! Score!) to replace my old 510 mb card, so I should have PLENTY of space for pictures-and video! I may do a vid of me painting it when I get around to it. FOr now, I decided after much deliberation to revisit my nemesis: The roof. I mapped the bad section today with a Sharpie, and will skim coat the low spots and re-prime over the next week. Despite using urethane primer, it is starting to rust through in places now, so I have to redo it anyways. That's what sucks about body work. It has an expiration date if you don't paint it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Update: WTF is up with the weather? If this is Global Warming I'd hate to see what Global Cooling is like! It is going to be in the teens tonight and failed to get out of the 50's today. So, painting was of course out of the question. Add to that the fact that my income has dropped about 30-40% in the last month and I question if I should pay the cash to rent the booth or not! What will likely happen is I will spray it and then take the tags and insurance off of it to save money. I figure if it is not an eyesore, the neighbors won't call code enforcement on me. That way, I have a little extra money every month to put towards completion without having to drive it.

Regal8601

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2008
FL
Does your neighborhood have a homeowner's association? I know mine does... I basically have to pay them just so they can go around and monitor everybody's house. They got on me a few times for having a 6x12 utility trailer parked on the driveway, and they got my neighbor for having a portable basketball hoop on his driveway.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
We disbanded the neighborhood association years ago, so it isn't an issue. What is an issue is the occasional busy-body that can't mind their own business. It's been a few years since I have had a run in with the county, so it's not a big deal right now. happily, the weather has improved, so if I can get off my *ss and work on it, it should be ready to paint in another week or two. I have been geeking out on computer stuff lately and neglecting my cars, but I should be going back to work on them next week once I catch up on my homework.

1985Chevycutlass

Apprentice
Feb 4, 2009
:shock: Man, your build thread has got 2 be the best one on this site. (no disrespect 2 anyone else). Its just so interesting and detailed, as well as informing that I almost thought I was helping u work. Hope everything turns out the way u plan it to. Cant wait 2 see the finished product!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
1985Chevycutlass said:
:shock: Man, your build thread has got 2 be the best one on this site. (no disrespect 2 anyone else). Its just so interesting and detailed, as well as informing that I almost thought I was helping u work. Hope everything turns out the way u plan it to. Cant wait 2 see the finished product!

Thanks! My intention with the build thread has always been to give a reality based view of what it really takes to build one of these cars. Many people don't realize just how long some of this stuff can take and how much effort it requires to make it all come together. Once it is painted, I will probably be doing lots of detailed posts on things like the A/C system, wiring a stereo, adding cruise control, sound deadening, etc. The involved, boring stuff that isn't very sexy, but that makes the difference between a old car that still works OK, and one that is a true pleasure to drive somewhere other than to a show. Just remember that some of what you read online or in magazines is pure bullshit. Some of my posts are short of some minor details, but I did try to write it all out as it really happened-even if it does not always paint me in a good light.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For the first time in many, many months, progress has resumed. I applied a skim coat of glazing putty to the two massive, shallow low spots in the roof. Let the tedious sanding with the sanding block-of death! commence as soon as it sets up!

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
glad to hear your getting back to work on it, and yes some things like hooking back up the cruise control would be a great helper to some of us no matter how boring it may be

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor