Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Stroking it I hope? I thought those 403 walls were already pretty thin? Either way, sorry to hear that.

I have indeed decided to stick with 3.42s. Though 3.23s would help on the auto-x track with my current setup, trying to make my Gbody auto-x better by gearing the rear end probably isn't the right approach especially when it creates driveability issues with overdrive and lockup during just normal [D] driving. Let's face it, if I want to get serious on the GTV circuit, I need to be extra wide on all 4 corners butchering the frame and wells accordingly to do so, really should migrate to a suitable 6 speed manual which with the 3.42s out back and 1.75ish 2nd gear would get me around almost all auto-x courses quite well with all the torque I make, would have to punt the CCC, add more cam, and put some headers on to compete with all these 600HP rods, on and on. So, 3.42 it is . . .

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 3.42 gears are as low as anyone should go with a 2004R, good choice. 4.390" bore by 3.5" stroke, just need a girdle, bearings and machine shop work to complete the short block. You should have one fun car. I assume a custom timing curve and richer settings for the CCC carb?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
The 3.42 gears are as low as anyone should go with a 2004R, good choice. 4.390" bore by 3.5" stroke, just need a girdle, bearings and machine shop work to complete the short block. You should have one fun car. I assume a custom timing curve and richer settings for the CCC carb?

Interesting. You have a build thread on this? Did you have the block sonigramed to insure it will safely take the extra .040? Also curious of the donor rotating assy? I wanted to stay small block and seriously considered 403 but had read of over heating tendencies at the stock bore . . . perhaps just urban myth crap?

Obviously, deciding to go 3.975 (425 C&R) stroke in a +.080 455 block, I am needless to say intrigued by unique projects so naturally want to know all about it. And I had some folks thinking I was nuts for going 4.205. But, though I did go to a 4 core and a high flow aluminum pump, this thing runs 190 whether it is 50 or 100 out.

(No need to go on if you've already read this but) As I have posted elsewhere, I wanted a nicely over square Olds big block since I wanted to remain naturally aspirated and over square engines produce a naturally wider-flatter power curve than the under square 455 stroked set up. Though on the one hand, I wanted fuel efficiency and even to be able to pass an emissions sniff if need be which meant keeping the CCC and '87 ECM for now, on the other I have an engine core that will safely go to 6500-7000 rpm to get to 600HP if I want to punt the CCC/ECM for preferably fuel injection and more cam and headers later on?

Anyway, I had an already +.060 F block I actually had to use for an irrigation motor (ha) but we decided to go electric because of gas prices. It had 2 holes that needed cleaned up though so I had it ultra-sounded to "know" it would have safely taken a full 1/8th on all 8 holes. I found that Pontiac made a 4.205 bore forged piston with the right pin geometry so ended up with the 442CI purely by accident. Absolutely love the way it runs but I am HP starved above 5000rpm at the moment which means a mere 400 (ha). But compared to the whopping 175/250 HP/LB.FT. it had with the (9) 307 it was quite a pleasant change considering with the all aluminum top end it is .040 lbs lighter than the small block version.

Yes, on a slightly richened closed loop and altered timing curve as well thanks to a guy (then) up in Toronto I crossed e-paths with that I sadly have lost touch with. We even managed to get lean burn to work after OD and lockup with spark advance that maxes out about 63. Not a bit of ping on 91 and again runs nice and cool doing it. We had to go to a dual PCV setup evacuating both valve covers taking filtered breather air down into the crankcase through the oil tube to solve an off idle - light throttle problem the ECM had with the stock PCV setup and the cam dynamics. But, it allowed for slightly higher rpm before (both) PCVs opened and problem solved plus I also get a more efficient block ventilation in the process. Ever notice how you pull apart a high mileage motor with standard PCV setup and the intake side valve cover is caked with sludge? Yup! Nowhere for all of that to go on the intake valve cover so it builds up over time.

Anyway as usual I seem to be rambling. Send me a link if you have a build thread?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Very cool build, everyone says that your bore is the absolute max most 455 blocks should go. From what I see the 455 runs hot just as often as the 403. I am not worried about a .039" over bore. I like running my timing on my low compression motors at 60 or so part throttle on 87. What compression ratio is your 442? I had a 330 crank offset ground, journals widened and picked up used custom stroker pistons on Scat sbc 2" journal rods. When I get the block to the machine shop, I will start a thread. The Olds 350 for my 70S and the whole car in general is priority over the 88 CSC right now.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Rockford Fosgate has made some good stuff over the years. How much for that box and where did you buy it?

$179 on Amazon. Might be cheaper now if this model is still available?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Very cool build, everyone says that your bore is the absolute max most 455 blocks should go. From what I see the 455 runs hot just as often as the 403. I am not worried about a .039" over bore. I like running my timing on my low compression motors at 60 or so part throttle on 87. What compression ratio is your 442? I had a 330 crank offset ground, journals widened and picked up used custom stroker pistons on Scat sbc 2" journal rods. When I get the block to the machine shop, I will start a thread. The Olds 350 for my 70S and the whole car in general is priority over the 88 CSC right now.

Likewise at 10:1 on mine.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow impressive you can run that much timing with 10 to 1, what are the can specs? Maybe the Edelbrock's better chamber make a big difference too. I pinged on 91 with 9.5 compression and the 204/214 cam in my Olds 350, unless everything was just right, cold plugs, slow curve and limited vacuum advance.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What radiator did you go with?

Happy camper

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2016
San Dimas Ca.
What's the story on those lower door panels. Is that how they come ,with the carpet and color or is that something you did ?
Also where did you get them from, they seem nicer than the ones I have seen in the past.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor