1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Discussion in 'Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels' started by Canon_Mutant, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant Master Mechanic

Took some measurements and I think I could make a dual 3" EFI type work but not a dual 4. Wish I could find one?

2. Rktpwrd

Rktpwrd Royal Smart Person

Just make your own like I did...!!
    ;)

Dual 4" on a 455 Olds...
    Completed induction v. 2 (2).JPG

Completed induction v. 2 (3).jpg

Completed induction v. 2 (6).jpg

Sorry for the photobomb, but I felt it was at least relevant to the topic...
    :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Canon_Mutant

Photos are fine. Looks nice!

You've apparently got a cowl hood and no AC, electric fans, in short, a ton more room than I do.

I am in essence doing that and had actually started cutting sheet metal for a custom carb box when I ran across Spectre.

Decided to just use what's available. What I've got will work if it will flow enough air?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Canon_Mutant

Just found out the Spectre box doesn't begin to sit down on a QJ. I said in my previous post that what I got will work because I specifically asked them if it will sit down on a QJ before I bought it. I will probably talk to them first to see if they have another suggestion but my drop bottom 2"x14" round one I've been running since I put the big block in proves I don't have a lot of headroom. May be making my own yet . . .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Canon_Mutant

Spectre called me back today and is sending a spacer they say will allow my air box to fit on a QJ. They also said that, especially on just a 750QJ, their shallow air box won't be a flow restriction though they did not actually offer any test flow numbers. They said you just need to make sure you don't restrict what you put on both ends? Well, I don't think my Airaids are going to be a problem there either. I got the rest of the parts today and definitely want to see this "on the car" so will give their spacer a try to see if it makes me at all worried about fitment, leaks, etc.?

EDIT: Not shown are my shield covers for the filters. Not quite done [twice] yet . . .

CAI.jpg

#245 Canon_Mutant, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Canon_Mutant

My dual snorkel CAI out of Spectre, Airaid, and custom made components is going to work. [​IMG]

Got it all laid out this evening on the motor. Had to add a 1/2" spacer to Spectre's air box that Spectre sent and that I am happy with, still some tweaking to do on my heat deflector covers for the AirAid conicals in both front corners, and just decided to move the gas fume canister from the PS over to the DS but, other than that, and everything else in my build thread, I'm surprised I ain't driving it yet . . . I think between the larger triangular hole in the inner fender and those large oval holes on either side of the radiator, I'll be able to suck in plenty of cool air.

Sorry, still haven't cleaned the engine yet for web presentation . . . you'll just have to use your imagination for now!

Pretty soon . . . [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403 Royal Smart Person

Cool, pretty sure your carb is 800 cfm. Glad you got it to work, hardly wait to see the finished product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Canon_Mutant

You know, you are right on the cfm rating. I've just always called them 750s and it is a bit counter-intuitive that the size of the protruding bump ring into the primary venturi and whether there is a little bump there means it is a 750 or 800 AND one would assume maximum cfm to be related to how much air the carb will flow with the secondaries open when that also has nothing to do with it. But, until they are on a flow bench, it is all just speculation based on what someone said based on a theory of operation.

#248 Canon_Mutant, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 1:40 AM