1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Discussion in 'Frame / Chassis / Suspension' started by Canon_Mutant, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Rktpwrd

Rktpwrd Royal Smart Person

Just make your own like I did...!!
    ;)

Dual 4" on a 455 Olds...
    Completed induction v. 2 (2).JPG

Completed induction v. 2 (3).jpg

Completed induction v. 2 (6).jpg

Sorry for the photobomb, but I felt it was at least relevant to the topic...
    :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant G-Body Guru

Photos are fine. Looks nice!

You've apparently got a cowl hood and no AC, electric fans, in short, a ton more room than I do.

I am in essence doing that and had actually started cutting sheet metal for a custom carb box when I ran across Spectre.

Decided to just use what's available. What I've got will work if it will flow enough air?

• Like Like x 1
  3. olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403 Comic Book Super Hero

Cool, pretty sure your carb is 800 cfm. Glad you got it to work, hardly wait to see the finished product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant G-Body Guru

You know, you are right on the cfm rating. I've just always called them 750s and it is a bit counter-intuitive that the size of the protruding bump ring into the primary venturi and whether there is a little bump there means it is a 750 or 800 AND one would assume maximum cfm to be related to how much air the carb will flow with the secondaries open when that also has nothing to do with it. But, until they are on a flow bench, it is all just speculation based on what someone said based on a theory of operation.

#244 Canon_Mutant, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant G-Body Guru

Well, I actually had my rear end in the truck ready to go to town like 2 months ago it seems though it was only a month [only], but had to actually unload it to do more pressing things and still haven't gotten back to it. Bear in mind, going to town is an hour one way. Good news is on the interior gut, dynamat everything, new headliner, new [speaker] lower door panels, new sound system, battery relocate, custom power shelf, I got back to everything is organized . . . got things prioritized, even written down if you can believe that, and the shop cleaned and straightened up again.

And, the rear end is back in the truck again . . . hey I have to go to town in the next 3 days to renew my license or I'll be like considered an illegal alien here in Kansas and there will like be a shoot on sight warrant out for my arrest [or something like that??] so no choice but to drive clear in to Wichita now . . . and this week or else!!!

Might as well take the rear end with me . . . [​IMG]

Plus, it's my birthday this week. Survived another year . . . celebrate by getting that freakin rear end done-done!
    Well guess I better wait until my actual birthday to get all cocky about surviving another year, huh?! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. SoFloG

SoFloG G-Body Guru

Man, I was wondering about this build the other day. Good to see progress. Are you still considering fabbing up those shock tower braces?

7. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant G-Body Guru

No just bought the UMI brace. I didn't think I could build it cheaper . . .

• Like Like x 1
  8. SoFloG

SoFloG G-Body Guru

If I remember correctly... solid trim panel running the span of the rear parcel tray, did you end up flushing it to the sub mounting surface on the enclosure? Is the sub still firing rearward without obstruction? Can you upload some pics? I would like to help you get it rite

9. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant G-Body Guru

Well, I took it back out at least temporarily. But, yeah, with the physically smaller but higher power amps I went with, I was able to cut the shelf from 12 down to 9.5 and then the cover with a 10" hole just for the sub speaker flipped up and fastened right to the subenclosure instead of to that extra bracket on the original design. It was not quite as bad as talking vs talking with your hand over your mouth but that was to a lesser extent the same effect the cover had on the sound in the car with the trunk lid and doors closed. I was frankly surprised 1/4" abs would muffle base frequencies that much? Or maybe the damn thing running top to bottom the length of that entire shelf space behind the rear seat has some resonant dampening effect when fastened directly to the "closed" sub enclosure? Just wondered if replacing 1/4" abs with 1/8th perf board might be a better idea?

10. Canon_Mutant

Canon_Mutant G-Body Guru

Until I get the power shelf back together and in the car . . . it looks just like this. Until I get this figured out, whether I use the "shelf" idea or just end up bolting everything to the car, I needed to get the wires ran, so I pulled it back out to do that. And, as you know, that heavy gauge stuff is a PITA . . . well if you have to turn corners anyway. There are plenty of turns getting up to the engine bay.

Power Shelf.jpg

• Like Like x 1