Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Couldn't resist . . . picked up one of these today. I like the retro look but frankly just decided I am not paying $200 for another NOS replacement antenna that probably won't work either with the 3 control wires so this is going in to match a single control wire [and much cheaper] antenna.

g068NEWPORT-F.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Couldn't resist . . . picked up one of these today. I like the retro look but frankly just decided I am not paying $200 for another NOS replacement antenna that probably won't work either with the 3 control wires so this is going in to match a single control wire [and much cheaper] antenna.

g068NEWPORT-F.jpg
Where can I buy one? With a little work I can make this look like a stock radio.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
They are a tad pricey at $359 but Crutchfield has them.

EDIT: Oh, and they are a legit 1.5 DIN like the factory unit but you probably knew that.

Sadly, another member turned me on to this on another thread but now I can't find it to thank him . . .

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice build and I wish my car even had the F41, it does not and handles like a marshmallow. But my Olds 350 is maybe 300 HP/350 TQ at most. With your power it needs the upgrade.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Hey, 300HP 350 lb.ft. is nothing to sneeze at. I almost put a 350 in mine. If I could have figured out how to stroke one, like the 383 chevy, I might well have put one in. Given it is a show quality 442, I didn't want to go the chevy root. But having what ended up a 442CI big block with a forged lower end out of a 425 [3.975 stroke] in a +.080 455 that was scoped to take a full 1/8th on all 8 holes before we did it with an aluminum top end [heads and intake] that weighs 40 lbs. less than the 307 making more than twice the HP and nearly twice the torque . . . I am more than pleased with how it turned out.

I noticed going back to the beginning that my initial plan has changed dramatically. But, that is why I became a member here. [Unlike most engineers it seems] I do NOT know everything and logged on here to learn right, wrong, affordable, and waste of money. Now, I think I have a pretty good plan but just need to "get 'er done!".

Sadly, my mini-split heat pump AC system for the shop got lost . . . yes lost [I suspect someone got a free one] so Home Depot ordered me another one with a whopping 10% discount and are "attempting" to rush shipment. Supposed to be here the 28th now. Unfortunately, the heat index tomorrow will be 108 again so [just because of my nearly 60 age and not so good health] I need to get the temps back at least into the 90s or get my AC system installed whichever comes first before I can proceed.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I finally got my mini-split heater/cooler for the shop this week. That only took a month longer than it was supposed to. Hope to put it in tomorrow and, since I finally got the electric antenna swap from hell done, I went ahead and jacked up all for corners tonight before I quit.

Yeah, I know, pics!

:worthless:

I promise my next post will have the first "before" pics. Think I may start out back. Should be easier [for me anyway] to start in back.

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
OK, FINALLY!

Got her up on jack stands ready to start. Should get the rear end scattered tomorrow.

Cannot believe how quickly this car attracts dust . . .

IMG_0490.JPG

And a few before pics of the rear end where I am starting:
IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

And one of the front for future reference . . .
IMG_0501.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Wow that cutlass is mint! i don't think I have never seen your car. Exciting to put all those shiny new parts in isn't it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks, well it ought to be. Bought it new in late '86 and it has been garaged since day one. Got 28K miles on it.

It is a shame those SSIIIs and the BFG TAs are junk. They "LOOK" great. Got one wheel with 27 ounces of wheel weights on it and two to others with like 12 and 17 [I think?] but the car still has slight 65-75 vibration.

That is about to change per my wheel and tire thread . . .

And, sorry, I won't show the motor yet. It is much dustier than the car is and it WILL get cleaned first!

• Informative

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Meh . . . couldn't wait until tomorrow though, since it is after midnight, I guess I still sorta waited until tomorrow . . . :doh:

Got one side scattered already. Yeah, I know, don't scatter the other side until you reattach this one . . . well, unless you want a REALLY big surprise on your hands . . . :blam:

Though the suspension is completely different components, I've already been through this on my 2002 Tacoma. New Boss COs up front, new Deaver J59 Leaf Packs, HD Bilsteins, and Firestone air bags in back so I already know the dos and don'ts of suspension swaps. Um . . . I think?;)

I have a little rust removal and touch up to do before I can put on the PURDY parts. That will likely take [later today] plus dry time so I may not get this side back together today. I may see if I can go ahead and put the UMI Pro-touring sway bar on while I am watching paint dry. Haven't looked but I am just guessing that could/should be the last thing to go on but I'll take a look. Or, I can certainly start putting on my rear hitch bracket to tie those rear frame rails together . . . that should work OK.

I started by just removing the shock, then popped the factory spring and spacer out. I [like the first month I owned the car] ripped out those worthless factory air shocks and [to get the same stance] put in a 1" spacer and HD Monroes [about the best shock you could buy 30 years ago]. MUCH better rear suspension performance over the air shocks [in 30 years ago terms!]

IMG_0494.JPG

And all gone [except the upper control arm]

IMG_0504.JPG

Outside view [need to remove rust on the coil mounts and rear lower control arm mount and re-coat]

IMG_0507.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor