Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I actually had time this evening so, since I need to get this done in order to start the suspension mods, I finally got the old . . .
IMG_0370.JPG

ratso-frackin motsa-blackin electric antenna out, hooked up the new one and . . . DOA. So, the factory antenna just ran continuously with just the battery hooked up, no ignition or radio ON required. The replacement does nothing even with proper voltages applied. Glad I checked it BEFORE I buttoned the fender back up.

For those that don't know, the factory antenna is spot welded to its mounting bracket on the back side AND [on mine anyway] the bracket was attached "from the engine compartment side" down below the heat exchanger where there is no way you can get anything on it. So, I had to break the bracket [the replacement antenna mounts different anyway]. Why is the fender only loose instead of OFF? To take it OFF requires hood removal and several more things up front [practically have to remove the entire front end] so this is just loose enough to gain access. Had the mounting bolt been applied from the outside . . . 10 minute job once you get the fender loose . . . IF THE REPLACEMENT PART IS FUNCTIONAL! So, now I get to wait for a replacement for the replacement . . .

Here are a couple of pics of the dirty deed.

Old before removal:

FullSizeRender.jpg

And after removal:

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Last edited:

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Here are a few pics of the exhaust [forgot who asked for them, sorry, and not even sure it was in this thread??]. . . granted, the exhaust is 10 years old now but I just noticed tonight that every weld, clamp, and the high flow cats on my stainless exhaust [409 not 304] are rusting.

OMG, going to have to fix that . . . or not!

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Lucked out . . . Oreilly's had a replacement antenna in stock at the store on my side of town. So, I don't have to order one and wait after all. Now, if this one just works . . .

Got the brakes, sway bar, upper rear control arms, and hitch mount today. Sorry, haven't taken any more parts p*rn pics yet . . .

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
OK, today's parts p*rn installment . . .

Was busy mowing the 10 acres here this evening so no time to try out my replacement, replacement, electric antenna. And tomorrow I am getting my GREE split system heat pump air handler for the shop so with any luck I will be climate controlled in a day or so. Predicting 100+ all next week so that will be nice! :cool:

Well, interesting, I didn't order a new "front" sway bar since the UMI version is almost verbatim like my F41. So, imagine my surprise when a shiny new front sway bar showed up today. To save shipping it back, Summit cut me a pretty sweet deal so, since my F41 bar is quite rusty, I was going to pull it off and get it bead blasted and powder coated but can instead just put this one on. Those UMI uppers are almost too pretty, huh?

And, yes, I did get "2" disk brake kits. Haven't unboxed the other yet. Also pictured is the [quite heavy duty] Curt hitch bracket just to tie those rear frame rails together better and the lowering brackets for the boxed lower rear control arms that I don't have yet. I also lack the control arm reinforcement brackets, shock tower brace, and the "rear" pro-touring sway bar that I did order.
They are on the way though . . . :banana:

IMG_0456.JPG

Dapper442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2016
South Jersey
Yeah, I am back in the springs and shocks camp again . . . starting to feel like the dog named Stay. Come here Stay. Stay come here. Damn it, come here, Stay. Stay, Come here! Sigh . . .

UMI finally got back to me and apparently isn't in the mood to swap anything in their stage 4 kit. Tried getting poly instead of delrin bushings since I don't want to feel every single pebble I run over and I only want longer upper ball joints instead of longer upper and lower . . . and, in return, I wanted fully boxed lower rear arms instead of tubular and relocation brackets added. I wanted them to apply the bushing and ball joint price difference toward the cost of the additions.

The response was "stage 4 already has delrin bushings and going to boxed lowers will add $30 and adding the relocation brackets will add an additional $130." I figured they must not have understood what I was asking so I tried to clarify and they just sent me an itemized list of what is in the stage 4 kit. So, if they don't want to deal, I am back to piecemeal-ing it all together from Summit, Spohn, Hotchkis, and UMI but you all have at least talked me into swapping in new front CAs instead of hassling with reworking my stock ones. Spohn has a set for $764 that look promising.

So, the new new new list . . . ~ $3225 keeping F41 sway bars [still much better than my original $5K list] to $3850 adding Hotchkis sway bars

From Summit: ~ $525

Eibach Pro Lowering Springs
Bilstein AK front and rear shocks

From Spohn: ~ $1800

Tubular Upper and Lower Control Arms w/super travel upper ball joints
Steering Rebuilt Kit
Wilwood Pro 12" rotors w/ 4 piston calipers front brake kit

From UMI: ~ $900

Boxed Lower Rear Control Arms w/ Poly-Roto Combo
Fully adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms w/ Poly-Roto Combo
Reinforcement Arms
Relocation Brackets

[later on if I am not happy with my F41 sway bars]

From Hotchkis: ~ $625

Front/Rear Extreme Sway Bars

Could you tell me what part number Bilstein AK shocks you use. I know AK1052 seems to be the go to for lowered G Body's in the rear but i cant seem to find what number to use in the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Bilstein AKs

Front AK1043
Rear AK1044

The rear shock tower brace showed up today along with the control arm reinforcement brackets.

Now, just lack the rear pro-touring anti-roll bar and the lower rear control arms. Anxious to dive in and start wrenching. I did manage to go out today and soak all the bolts I will be taking loose good with panther piss to hopefully help with disassembly. Hopefully . . . only 28K miles but most all of these haven't moved in 30 years. Bound to be a little stubborn . . .

Sadly spent today doing required yard work and my mini-split heat pump - air handler for the shop didn't show up after all. New arrival date on it is the 19th. Given my advanced age and not so great health, I was really looking forward to getting the shop climate controlled tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Last parts arrived today. No excuses now . . . well except for poor health, advanced age, and the heat index was 108 today [details].

Supposed to get my mini-split heat pump/AC for the shop tomorrow though :banana:. Man, a climate controlled shop . . . how cool is that? :cool:

IMG_0457.JPG

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Oh my. Very nice very nice. Let's see those parts on the car. No rush though lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Man, a climate controlled shop . . . how cool is that? :cool:

It's a wonderful thing. My brother and I put in a big window unit in my dad's garage a few years ago. He pulled down all the sheet rock and insulated the walls and insulated the attic. It's like working on the car inside the house. My car is in a 10'x25' storage and I have no desire to be over there when it's 98 degrees outside. Instead my brother an l are welding in patch panels on dad's car in the a/c on the weekends. It's also great for the car. It's almost like dad's Galaxie is in suspended animation.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, even hotter today and I drove all the way into town to pick up my mini-split system and Home Depot is doing inventory today so they are not unloading any trucks . . .
:doh:
Wonder if I can get them to deduct what will be 4 round trips of gas from the price?

Said it was here back on the 12th but got in there and that was only the hook up kit. The ship tracker for the heat pump and exchanger was the 15th. Went in on the 15th and it got changed to the 19th [today] but they are busy doing inventory.

So . . . I guess it is tomorrow now and guess I better call first this time. :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor