Yes the 86' ss used 28 spline axles

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:
axisg said:
Why not install rear disks and do away with the need for the C-Clip eliminators ?? The caliper bracket will hold the axle in place.

Does that work with any rear disc kit?

the caliper bracket installs on the flange that the backing plate is bolted to...at least it does on the set up I have and all the other set ups I have seen online and it has nothing to to with retaining the axle

correct; the bracket installs on the flange and the caliper bolts to the bracket. Unless you sheared off the 2 caliper bolts at the exact same time you broke your axle it's not going anywhere. Unless it's a full out racecar then it's just as good as c-clip eliminators IMO.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If you have the original 7.5 rear end, then you probably have the 26 spline axles like my bu did. Sorry bout that I had read another post from someone else and accidentally got them mixed up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
according to this and other forums it did

http://www.g-body.org/tnt/diffs/diff-codes.php

GM 1981 to 1988 G-Bodies used a 7.5" ring gear rear axle EXCEPT: Monte Carlo SS - 7-5/8" 3.73, Olds 442 - 8.5" 3.73, T-Type and Grand National - 8.5" 3.42 or 3.73. The 8.5" axle is the same used in the B-body (full sized) except a shorter axle tube length.

Second, the 7-5/8" axle is actually used in the mid 80's F-bodies Camaro & Firebird. This axle is the one used in the Monte Carlo SS.

http://www.twolaneracing.com/article_di ... page_id=50

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
joye227 said:
No it didn't.
What exactly are you referring to here?

I know the GN/GNX/T-Type/Monte Carlo SS are the sought after rearends, but I just can't see paying $500-$600 for a used/original rearend. Not worth it to me, like I said early, no different than putting used parts in a rearend or engine.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Just ignore the random comments from the peanut gallery. Half the time they just want to start stuff or end up puttin their foot in their mouths. I just got done arguing the same thing with another guy up here who said that the 7 5/8 rear only came in the F bodies. Then I went over to the SS forum and gave him specific proof.

Seems like lately there is just a huge flow of noobs coming into the forums who either provide incorrect information, don't know how to use proper grammar or spelling, or throw in their two cents when someone is trying to get serious information. If you question yourself as to the answer toward the question being asked, then go to google and research or don't say anything. I'm not dictating anything, just do everyone a favor and keep it simple. 8)

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I knew this thread was going to turn into a "size matters" argument :blam:

I would still like to know where to get the aftermarket parts at a more reasonable price, if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor