Building a 7.5"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Understood

I just really don't think that I am going to need the larger rear-end.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
RITTER said:
joye227 said:
No it didn't.
What exactly are you referring to here?

I know the GN/GNX/T-Type/Monte Carlo SS are the sought after rearends, but I just can't see paying $500-$600 for a used/original rearend. Not worth it to me, like I said early, no different than putting used parts in a rearend or engine.

I was referring to the person that said that some SS monte's came with a 7.5 rear end and 28 spline axles. The 7.5 part is true but not the 28 spline axle part. The only G bodies that had 28 spline axles were Grand Nationals, the Hurst Olds and sum T-types and these cars did not have a 7.5 rear axle; they had an 8.5 rear axle.

And I agree with you. I can't see paying that price for a used/original rearend. But I would pay that for an 8.5 from a grand national or hurst but I would never buy a stock Monte Carlo SS rear end.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
patmckinneyracing said:
Just ignore the random comments from the peanut gallery. Half the time they just want to start stuff or end up puttin their foot in their mouths. I just got done arguing the same thing with another guy up here who said that the 7 5/8 rear only came in the F bodies. Then I went over to the SS forum and gave him specific proof.

Seems like lately there is just a huge flow of noobs coming into the forums who either provide incorrect information, don't know how to use proper grammar or spelling, or throw in their two cents when someone is trying to get serious information. If you question yourself as to the answer toward the question being asked, then go to google and research or don't say anything. I'm not dictating anything, just do everyone a favor and keep it simple. 8)

Just because sum noobs don't know what they are talking about doesn't mean that all off them don't know. I'm only a noob because I don't be on here posting s*** all the time. I be on other forums. Everyone knows that 7.5 rear ends came in S-10's, G-bodies, and f-bodies. The only difference is the 7.5 in g bodies had 26 spline axles and the other cars had 28 spline axles.

A relatively budget upgrade to a 7.5 is to order some 28 spline moser axles for a grand national and buy a 28 spline carrier new or buy one out of a S-10 or F-Body. And make sure you buy an aluminum girdle because it does help.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
patmckinneyracing said:
Well I pulled my axles and mine are stock 28 splines. Checked back when I rebuilt the rear end.
I wish I was you then. Cause I got the weak 26 spline axles.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I thought the 28 splines were standard on all the ss's. I tore into my malibu's stock rear end and that was 26 splines, but when I took it over to a local builder we both looked and saw that they were 28 splines. Another oddball thing is that the thread pattern is larger on the 86' rear end than on the 80', but that might simply be GM beefing up the lug nuts threads 6 years later.

art

Greasemonkey
Apr 24, 2009
Absecon, New Jersey
patmckinneyracing said:
I thought the 28 splines were standard on all the ss's. I tore into my malibu's stock rear end and that was 26 splines, but when I took it over to a local builder we both looked and saw that they were 28 splines. Another oddball thing is that the thread pattern is larger on the 86' rear end than on the 80', but that might simply be GM beefing up the lug nuts threads 6 years later.
The "big" threads on the studs may be simply metric. My son's 86 Cutlass has metric threads.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
As far as I'm concerned, building a 7.5 is in the same boat as rebuilding a 305.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
art said:
patmckinneyracing said:
The "big" threads on the studs may be simply metric. My son's 86 Cutlass has metric threads.

Right. '78-'81 used SAE 7/16" studs whereas from '82-'88 used Metric 12x1.5 studs.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is very little diameter difference 7/16 and M-12. If you look on a bolt chart the 7/16 is the standard equivalent to the M-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor