Buying a Cutlass, and need a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoods

n00b
Jun 13, 2012
Im looking for a longtime project car. I have been building Hondas since I was 17, but Now Im 24 and getting bored. My grand mother has a 87 grand national which is what really got me into these. Im still stuck between a cutlass, regal, or monte carlo.
I know I wanna do a swap for a bigger motor. Just wanna build a fast cruiser. Maybe track every now and then. I have found a few cutlass for around 500 to 1500 on my local craigslist. Is that a decent price ? What should I look for when buying one ? Thanks

85Oldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2010
Freeland, MI 48623
Thats not bad depending on the condition. Most common places to rust that you want to check first are the bottom of the doors, the floor pan and the frame above the rear wheels. Those places always seem to want to rust out. Tell granma that you glad take the GN off her hands! :lol:

backwoods

n00b
Jun 13, 2012
Ha trust me I do everyday. I wash it every week for her just so I get to drive it ha. How hard is it to swap these cars ?

85Oldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2010
Freeland, MI 48623
backwoods said:
Ha trust me I do everyday. I wash it every week for her just so I get to drive it ha. How hard is it to swap these cars ?

If you're talking about the motor or drive train they are pretty easy to work with. I have two cutlass's and I know that parts are comparable from 1981-88. Same goes for the Chevy and Buick's. Hardest thing is finding replacement parts. This site is great for that. There are a lot of people on here with parts for sale and give great advice. GBody parts have a lot of good items too.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
backwoods said:
Im looking for a longtime project car. I have been building Hondas since I was 17, but Now Im 24 and getting bored. My grand mother has a 87 grand national which is what really got me into these. Im still stuck between a cutlass, regal, or monte carlo.
I know I wanna do a swap for a bigger motor. Just wanna build a fast cruiser. Maybe track every now and then. I have found a few cutlass for around 500 to 1500 on my local craigslist. Is that a decent price ? What should I look for when buying one ? Thanks

First, check the vin numbers. A Y designation is a 307 and a Vin 9 is a 305 H.O. Seeing that you may be installing a new motor, this would not apply. Mainly, look and inspect the undercarriage of the vehicle. This is the most important aspect. Check the rails, control arms, 'front and rear'. Many frames, around the rear wheel well have been known to rot out or deteriorate. You would then have to find a partial frame and weld. Many calculations would be employed finding the correct stance, per measurements. Everything else can be corrected. Be aware that the parts will be "very" difficult to acquire. Before buying, make a list of everything you may need. Check to see if you can obtain such parts. Why spend money when you cannot acquire the parts. If you need any further assistance, contact me.

backwoods

n00b
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks a lot guys. Im not to concerned with interior parts and stuff. I wanna make this a 400 plus hp crusier/drag car. Im gonna be starting on suspension and a posi track first. Im guessing the 308s didnt come with it ? Whats the best motor to swap in these ? I see a bunch of 455 swaps.

Oh and Im in texas so most the older cars dont have much rust. Well the very tops do from the horrible heat and sun down here. ha But I will still check it all out.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
synoptic12 said:
First, check the vin numbers. A Y designation is a 307 and a Vin 9 is a 305 H.O. Seeing that you may be installing a new motor, this would not apply. Mainly, look and inspect the undercarriage of the vehicle. This is the most important aspect. Check the rails, control arms, 'front and rear'. Many frames, around the rear wheel well have been known to rot out or deteriorate. You would then have to find a partial frame and weld. Many calculations would be employed finding the correct stance, per measurements. Everything else can be corrected. Be aware that the parts will be "very" difficult to acquire. Before buying, make a list of everything you may need. Check to see if you can obtain such parts. Why spend money when you cannot acquire the parts. If you need any further assistance, contact me.

A vin 9 is NOT a 305 H.O. chevy motor when it comes to the cutlass. Vin 9 means the car had a "high output" 307 OLDS engine, big difference. Vin 9 cars are the H/O's and 442's and would also have the 8.5" rear out back unless its a 1983 H/O. If the car was originally equipped with an olds engine its much easier to replace with another olds, and the same goes for chevy. Check out my build thread if you would like. I have a 350 Olds in place of the 307 in my 442. Being that youre in the south it shouldnt be hard to find a rust free car, but if you do end up needing parts such as frame sections you can contact a guy by the name of Conrad Lozier located in Canada. Body Panels can be had from many places such as Gbodyparts.com.

1984 Cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 12, 2012
Bloomington Minnesota
Don't forget to look at the rear quarters where the floor pan meets the wheel well area. Also pull the carpet wherever you can, pull up the back seat, and look in/under the rear quarter seals that meet the left and right lower trunk area(the parts where the chrome is mounted if any). I have owned 11 now and 13 gbodies , and rust hides in all of those areas. I had one that looked brand new almost mint until you looked at the frame rails.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
I allways bring a fridge magnet to check for bondo. I know you won't have rust really but theres allways accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor