OLDS Looks Like I'm Buying a 1978 Cutlass, Boys

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
My 86 has same seats as yours albeit 4 door vs 2 door.

You tube I did on the recolor of the 86's interior.

Other one I did on the other abandoned car.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Ahhh.... Sorry I was being slow.

Take a small punch or finish nail with tip removed and use it to push the pin back that holds the accelerator pump arm on. Tap with small hammer if you have one. Place about .030 feeler gauge behind so when pin goes back, it doesn't go all the way back. This allows you to get a small flat blade behind it when air horn is back on. Line up the hole in the pump arm and push the pin forward.

On the choke side just remove small screw that connects the choke linkage to choke blade. It just comes off and set aside. Choke rod will fall free. From there just pull air horn straight up. Re-install is just the reverse.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
It's all good my friend. I just shut her off for the night after going for a short drive to check the shift into 3rd, keeping in mind that the brakes aren't exactly up to par. Everything is great, and the radio came back on playing "Dancing In The Dark" by Springsteen out of nowhere- I promise I'm not making this up. This has been an incredible day/night for me, and I almost don't believe it.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Full gauge complement and the braces from the fenders to the rad cradle are still there in the engine bay?? Total bonus. Them being there is a sign that there has been very little invasion into the engine bay; you may have been the first in quite a while.

I do agree on the rehab therapy suggested for the interior. You can get some serious carpet and upholstery shampoo and a good soft bristle brush and have at 'er. Use a wet/dry vac to sweep up the crud. Those plush seat pillows really trap the crap.

Nick
It's got the quick ratio steering and a rear sway bar too. Gentleman, I believe we've reached F41 status. Unreal.

• Winner

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I instantly thought of that movie, because who wouldn't? I won't paint this car for a while with the exception of stopping the progression of rust. The roof is covered in filler that's popping off and the rear glass trim is lousy with sanding scratches. Other than that and the floors she seems to be a real gem.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Rhino coat the roof. My 91 Merc has the canvas top. AZ sun trashed it. I used Bed liner and textured it.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Rhino coat the roof. My 91 Merc has the canvas top. AZ sun trashed it. I used Bed liner and textured it.
Ya know, I was actually considering it. I haven't put any real thought into that part of things yet, I've got to get her on the road legally first. But the sunroof and the roof in general are pretty high on the list of priorities.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you change the fuel filter yet, at least? Sitting that long not running may have some crud that gets up to the carb.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I did change the small one at the carb. I haven't changed the one in the frame rail yet. I also ran the old oil up to now because I didn't see the point in spending $40 just in case there was a problem. I know that old oil is acidic, but I figured getting it up to temp and burning off the moisture throughout the engine was more important considering the oil had already been circulated. I'm going to change it today, and again soon. I'm also going to utilize a bit of transmission fluid in the oil the first time just to help clean things up. I have ZDDP additive from Rislone and some Liqui-Moly for protection. I suctioned out the P.S. reservoir and replaced the fluid with 16oz of Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners. The old fluid smelled fine but looked like used cooking oil.

I really need to start a new thread since this was supposed to be a discussion about purchasing the car over other vehicles. I have a ton of things to share but I'm on a time crunch and can only post from my phone or tablet. Things keep progressing and you guys are chiming in with helpful tips so we're just going with it for now, and I can't keep myself from updating the thread since I know you're curious. I'll add a bit here but am going to save most of it for a thread dedicated to restoring the ol' girl back to her former glory.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor