Bye bye big city!

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
Sounds like a heck of a big influx from somewhere! You sure you’re moving far enough out?
Have a friend who purchased land in Whitesboro TX area, a few years ago. That is likely far out enough from DFW and most definetly Houston. But yep 60,000 new apartment dwellers, in a small town that used to have likely very little, that is a big change. And not for the better.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Valentines day came and went without an update. Still trying to outrun inflation?
I apologize for the slow response. I've worked as hard this year as I ever have in my life and just haven't been posting much. Work has been balls out since coming back on 1/2/24. Dad gets just about every Saturday on his detached garage reno, and there is always a project on Saturday. I usually work until about 2:00 PM on Sunday and then 2-8 PM on Sunday is time to rest. I've done lots of stuff you guys would probably enjoy reading about but just haven't put in the time to post it. It's a shame Dad's garage reno isn't a thread. I think a lot of you would enjoy it and the transformation is impressive at this point. We've been at it for about 10 months now. Dad has really brought the entire property around at this point. He has neighbors stopping to praise the transformation.

On our exodus from Harris County, we're moving forward. It's been a heavy lift. I'll try to give a complete but succinct update:

Financing
1. The Home Equity Line of Credit on our current home closed last week
2. The Construction Loan is expected to close this week or next - This has been a three-month process and hasn't been fun. My brother and sister-in-law have been handling the financing exclusively. I just hear about it. We've split up responsibilities to get this done.

Home
The contract with the home builder has been signed.

Pool
The contract with the pool builder has been signed.

Shop
A final decision was made that it will be a 40'x50'x14' building with a 15'x50' lean-to. A final decision has been made that it will be pole-barn construction. After getting that far, I got five bids. We've selected the builder for the barn, and I signed the contract and put down the deposit on Friday.

Permitting
1. I went through the process to assign an address to the lot a few years ago.
2. I've obtained the Certificate of Compliance (permission to build) from the City of Huntsville. They have a say because we are located in their Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (I believe within 5 miles of the City Limits).
3. I've obtained the Development Permit from Walker County.
4. I've obtained the permission to build the On-Site Sanitary Sewer Facility (Septic) from Walker County.
5. I've obtained the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Permit from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

ARC Submittal
We haven't submitted to the Architectural Review Committee, yet. This is the last major hurdle and it's a high one. It's a very detailed submittal including samples for the shingles and brick, renderings of the pool and shop, the plans for the house, exhibits that show the garage doors we picked out, the fencing we picked out, etc. We're waiting for the drainage plan to make that submittal and then we'll see what we have to change or what else we have to provide to get ARC approval. It's a heavily restricted community. We knew that going in. We're prepared to meet the requirements. The restrictions will keep it nice, and we can do everything we want to, within the restrictions.

Drainage Plan
We have a platted restriction on our lot that limits us to 10% impervious cover (roof, paving). We are proposing 23%. Because of this, we had to hire a Civil Engineer to perform a drainage study and prepare a drainage plan. That is due around 5/27. Ideally, the study will come back and say we don't have to detain any run-off, but my expectation is that we'll have to mitigate the runoff created by the additional 13% of impervious cover. There is a shallow natural drainage course that runs through the middle of the lot, in what will be our back yard. My expectation is that we'll have to detain some water in that drainage course, but we'll see what comes back.

We're planning to make the ARC submittal next month. We're hoping to have approval and be under way in July with clearing. Thanks for the interest!

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I like all of it but the ARC submittal part. I understand it, just rubs me the wrong way. Do what you have to.

Would the run-off issue be affected by digging a small pond somewhere on the lot?

And, yes, we'd like to see your dad's shop.

Reactions: 6 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I apologize for the slow response. I've worked as hard this year as I ever have in my life and just haven't been posting much. Work has been balls out since coming back on 1/2/24. Dad gets just about every Saturday on his detached garage reno, and there is always a project on Saturday. I usually work until about 2:00 PM on Sunday and then 2-8 PM on Sunday is time to rest. I've done lots of stuff you guys would probably enjoy reading about but just haven't put in the time to post it. It's a shame Dad's garage reno isn't a thread. I think a lot of you would enjoy it and the transformation is impressive at this point. We've been at it for about 10 months now. Dad has really brought the entire property around at this point. He has neighbors stopping to praise the transformation.

On our exodus from Harris County, we're moving forward. It's been a heavy lift. I'll try to give a complete but succinct update:

Financing
1. The Home Equity Line of Credit on our current home closed last week
2. The Construction Loan is expected to close this week or next - This has been a three-month process and hasn't been fun. My brother and sister-in-law have been handling the financing exclusively. I just hear about it. We've split up responsibilities to get this done.

Home
The contract with the home builder has been signed.

Pool
The contract with the pool builder has been signed.

Shop
A final decision was made that it will be a 40'x50'x14' building with a 15'x50' lean-to. A final decision has been made that it will be pole-barn construction. After getting that far, I got five bids. We've selected the builder for the barn, and I signed the contract and put down the deposit on Friday.

Permitting
1. I went through the process to assign an address to the lot a few years ago.
2. I've obtained the Certificate of Compliance (permission to build) from the City of Huntsville. They have a say because we are located in their Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (I believe within 5 miles of the City Limits).
3. I've obtained the Development Permit from Walker County.
4. I've obtained the permission to build the On-Site Sanitary Sewer Facility (Septic) from Walker County.
5. I've obtained the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Permit from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

ARC Submittal
We haven't submitted to the Architectural Review Committee, yet. This is the last major hurdle and it's a high one. It's a very detailed submittal including samples for the shingles and brick, renderings of the pool and shop, the plans for the house, exhibits that show the garage doors we picked out, the fencing we picked out, etc. We're waiting for the drainage plan to make that submittal and then we'll see what we have to change or what else we have to provide to get ARC approval. It's a heavily restricted community. We knew that going in. We're prepared to meet the requirements. The restrictions will keep it nice, and we can do everything we want to, within the restrictions.

Drainage Plan
We have a platted restriction on our lot that limits us to 10% impervious cover (roof, paving). We are proposing 23%. Because of this, we had to hire a Civil Engineer to perform a drainage study and prepare a drainage plan. That is due around 5/27. Ideally, the study will come back and say we don't have to detain any run-off, but my expectation is that we'll have to mitigate the runoff created by the additional 13% of impervious cover. There is a shallow natural drainage course that runs through the middle of the lot, in what will be our back yard. My expectation is that we'll have to detain some water in that drainage course, but we'll see what comes back.

We're planning to make the ARC submittal next month. We're hoping to have approval and be under way in July with clearing. Thanks for the interest!
I know we'll in the high heat environs the reasons to prefer concrete for walkways, driveways, etc, but, would permeable paving be an option to reduce the calculated percentage?

Also, what about a cistern to collect runoff for use in agricultural watering as a mitigating feature, aside from a possible pond/water feature?

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I know we'll in the high heat environs the reasons to prefer concrete for walkways, driveways, etc, but, would permeable paving be an option to reduce the calculated percentage?

Also, what about a cistern to collect runoff for use in agricultural watering as a mitigating feature, aside from a possible pond/water feature?
considering he's in Houston with all the recent storms/flooding 🤷‍♂️

but HOA restrictions typically dictate what you can/can't do. even if it's obviously a great idea to have a cistern/pond, if HOA says no then nothing you can do. most HOAs remind me of the Monty Python skits with the Gumbys

as for impermeable cover, I've always thought that was a stupid idea counting that against you because you're going to capture or re-direct the water into a retention pond on your land so it's controlled and goes back into the aquifer anyway

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

but HOA restrictions typically dictate what you can/can't do. even if it's obviously a great idea to have a cistern/pond, if HOA says no then nothing you can do. most HOAs remind me of the Monty Python skits with the Gumbys

as for impermeable cover, I've always thought that was a stupid idea counting that against you because you're going to capture or re-direct the water into a retention pond on your land so it's controlled and goes back into the aquifer anyway
That brings me to a sort of another question...

Is this an HOA situation, or, just a development wide set of restrictive covenants regarding development features?

We've had the latter twice, the difference is that it has no power going forward to make new rules, levy assessments and fines, etc. It's there to limit what you can build, and how, (construction types, minimum square ft and design features, etc) but thats it.

Hoas just get scary to me long term when the busy bodies hijack them

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH

They would look at a retention pond in need of a perk test for drainage. But also a mosquito issue or children hazard depending on how sticky the HOA wants to be ,but definitely a good idea. Heck of a circus and flaming hoops to navigate!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor