Bye bye big city!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
How often is the oil supposed to be changed? I’m not near 146 hours, but it’s been 7 years now.
Our Ingersoll Rand compressor has a 100% duty cycle if you run their synthetic oil, which we do. Every 12 years or 2000 hours the synthetic oil and the air filter should be changed. We did it just because. When she moves 40 miles north to the forever house I'll service it again.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Our Ingersoll Rand compressor has a 100% duty cycle if you run their synthetic oil, which we do. Every 12 years or 2000 hours the synthetic oil and the air filter should be changed. We did it just because. When she moves 40 miles north to the forever house I'll service it again.
You’d be surprised even when ,not using grinders and air impacts, how much not having to holler over it when it cycles is nice. My old shop had one of the OLD compressors with the coffee can size pistons and was noisy as all getout.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Without an hour meter like is shown above, I just do it by the calendar, no matter how often or little the compressor has actually run. Once the oil in the sight gauge starts to darken, which usually starts to happen around the end of a year's operating time, out comes the drain pail and off comes the crankcase cap and the old oil goes into the recycling tank. The last time I did this oil change i modified the drain by adding a ball valve shut off valve. It makes the draining process a little cleaner because once the end cap comes off the drain pipe, the valve still has to be opened before anything comes out. Plus which it offers a "hook" on which to hang the drain bucket so that you don't have to babysit the thing while the oil is coming out. For refilling I used a suction gun the last time and "pumped" the oil into the crankcase; faster and cleaner.

Nick

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
ciayxXT.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Save, Save, Save. Ask yourself, "if not now, when"? Marvel at the cost of everything. $13.48 for a quart of Castrol GTX 5W30 at Napa, and the guy was surprised when I put it back on the oil rack. Almost $5 for a gallon of windshield washer fluid at Advance. Save, Save, Save, which is much harder to do these past few years than it was before 2021. Marvel at how this place you grew up in doesn't even come close to resembling what it was when you were a kid. Feel sad and nostalgic. Save some more.

We're planning a meeting with the home builder to go over everything in like six weeks. Lumber prices are way down off the peak. Steel prices are way down off the peak. Hopefully appliances, windows, doors and the like have come down too. If the price per square foot is close to where we need to be, we're going to move forward. If they're not, we're going to keep saving. None of us want to stay here. We just don't want to get out there in less than a good financial position. We also don't want to go out there and not do the extras like the shop, the pool and the patio (outdoor living area). We're on our patio here most evenings. It's not something we're willing to do without.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Save, Save, Save. Ask yourself, "if not now, when"? Marvel at the cost of everything. $13.48 for a quart of Castrol GTX 5W30 at Napa, and the guy was surprised when I put it back on the oil rack. Almost $5 for a gallon of windshield washer fluid at Advance. Save, Save, Save, which is much harder to do these past few years than it was before 2021. Marvel at how this place you grew up in doesn't even come close to resembling what it was when you were a kid. Feel sad and nostalgic. Save some more.

We're planning a meeting with the home builder to go over everything in like six weeks. Lumber prices are way down off the peak. Steel prices are way down off the peak. Hopefully appliances, windows, doors and the like have come down too. If the price per square foot is close to where we need to be, we're going to move forward. If they're not, we're going to keep saving. None of us want to stay here. We just don't want to get out there in less than a good financial position. We also don't want to go out there and not do the extras like the shop, the pool and the patio (outdoor living area). We're on our patio here most evenings. It's not something we're willing to do without.
When it comes to the shop, are any of the trees you plotted to remove saw-grade? In these parts guys will bring their Wood Mizer to your site and mill your trees to specs, pre negotiated fee per board ft. If building a structure requiring permits, rules followed here says that lumber milled from trees on the building site doesn't have to be graded and will be exempt from code reqs. Depending on if any of it was to be framed for lofts inside and whatnot, could add up.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Lumber prices are way down off the peak. Steel prices are way down off the peak. Hopefully appliances, windows, doors and the like have come down too.
Based on my current building project, I can confirm prices are down from a year+ ago. Lumber quality locally is vastly improved too. Windows and door prices are steady but lead times are way out.

I'm hoping your meeting with the builder goes well. Can't wait to see the progress. You guys have certainly earned it.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Based on my current building project, I can confirm prices are down from a year+ ago. Lumber quality locally is vastly improved too. Windows and door prices are steady but lead times are way out.

I'm hoping your meeting with the builder goes well. Can't wait to see the progress. You guys have certainly earned it.
So we met with the homebuilder back in mid March. He put together a quote for us and the answer was, we weren't financially prepared to make the move. We could have cut some things and put ourselves out on the ragged edge and done it but we decided not to. We're here for another year. We hope to pull the trigger in March. Some fruitful things came from the meeting. For one, we realized that "flipping" or mirroring the floor plan of the house will make it fit the existing topography of the lot much better, putting the garage and driveway on the high side, whereas we were originally proposing it on the low side. This will look better, cut down on fill and save money. A win all around.

I've revised the tree removal plan relative to the new floor plan and paving layout. I haven't done the site plan yet. Once we decided we weren't going yet, getting it done lost some urgency and the last three months at work have been a blur. We're moving forward with authorizing the structural engineer. He'll do the design on the foundation and for the roof framing. We'll have that done and in our pocket when we're ready to move forward.

I had the guy who did the underbrushing for us go out and mow the lot about a month back. Sean and I decided to outsource the maintenance to him. We'll pay off the house we're in later this year. At that point we'll own everything (house and cars, land we're moving to) except for the storage where I keep my two cars. It looks like Dad is going to beat us out of here. His house goes on the market on Wednesday. He's been in that house since 1985 (38 years). It's going to be strange when he doesn't live there anymore but I'm happy and excited for him. They had a house they wanted to make an offer on but it ended up with a contract on it about the time they were trying to make an offer. They'll find something.

I guess that's it for now friends.

Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think you guys are going about this as prudently as possible, given current circumstances. I can't imagine trying to finance a house right now, and interest rates aren't forecast to get any better.

The other upside of your delay is being able to really marinate on the details. Mirroring the plans is a perfect example. Having been in my place for about 5 years now, there are certainly some things I'd do different. The way the house is situated on the lot makes perfect sense in some ways but apparently the approach is confusing. We get package deliveries by the basement slider door sometimes because the front door (which is actually way closer) isn't visible from the driveway. You wouldn't even know the small front lawn and courtyard area are there. I guess curb appeal has a totally different meaning when you're rural.

Did your builder give you a timeline once the project is started? Are you planning to do the house and shop at the same time or one before the other?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor