MONTE CARLO C6 corvette mirrors on ‘84 mc doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
Hey everyone,

I have a 1988 mc ss that I’ve been working on with my dad and had a few questions. The car itself is an ‘88, but it has ‘84 doors (and mirrors) on it. The previous doors were in rough shape and we found a pair that had been in a garage since roughly 1990. I was at a car show awhile ago and I noticed someone there had C6 mirrors on their el camino and I wanted to do the same on my car. The mirrors and holes in the door are the same shape but I was curious if we’d need to do any cutting to make them fit. Also, would it be possible to make the mirrors power instead of the levers on the dash and drivers side door?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hey everyone,

I have a 1988 mc ss that I’ve been working on with my dad and had a few questions. The car itself is an ‘88, but it has ‘84 doors (and mirrors) on it. The previous doors were in rough shape and we found a pair that had been in a garage since roughly 1990. I was at a car show awhile ago and I noticed someone there had C6 mirrors on their el camino and I wanted to do the same on my car. The mirrors and holes in the door are the same shape but I was curious if we’d need to do any cutting to make them fit. Also, would it be possible to make the mirrors power instead of the levers on the dash and drivers side door?
It's my understanding that '86-88 Gbodies had the wedge mirrors. I have a '78 Caballero that I want to upgrade to wedge mirrors. There is a thread on the forum here that tells how to convert the wedge mirrors to power electric titled "power mirror upgrade", which was started by 88AZSS. It is very informative, worth reading.
Additional vehicles to obtain the wedge mirror electric motors from include: Pontiac Fiero, 3rd gen Fbody (Camaro, Firebird), late 80's-early 90's Corvette, and a few others. If you get mirrors from an 80's-90's Corvette, you might want to get heated mirrors (which is what I want). The wedge mirrors need to mount 1-1/2 to a couple of inches forward of the "sport" and the base chrome mirrors to look correct.
I personally dont follow the Corvettes very much after the 1990's-early 2000's, but if you like the C6 mirrors, you can probably find a way to make them fit. Over on elcaminocentral.com, somebody made a set of mirrors fit their elky by fabricating an intermediate part to fit between the mirror arm and the door.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
5spdCab is correct in all respects regarding where you can get the mirrors from, which models the mirrors are, and where you have to mount them. to clarify, you will probably need to create some sort of mounting gasket interface so that it fits the shape of your door. this is the intermediate part he was referring to as needing to be fabricated

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hey everyone,

There are correct mirrors out there but hard to find, '81-'82 Corvette sport mirrors, but really hard to find & costly. These just need the switch out the pedesals switched out for the ones off your mirrors or a donor set if the mechanical remotes are still good. I'm on the hunt for these ones for my '81.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Be aware that to mount mirrors forward, there will be modifications to the upper inner reinforcement required. Simply mounting them to the skin will result in cracking of the skin in a relatively short time.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Be aware that to mount mirrors forward, there will be modifications to the upper inner reinforcement required. Simply mounting them to the skin will result in cracking of the skin in a relatively short time.
To add to this, the support brackets were installed on the Fiero I removed my power mirrors from. Not thinking, I almost left them and glad I didnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor