Can my 3.8 v6 handle turbos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
3.8 or 3.8t, it doesn't matter. they are the same engine. and since he's asking if it will handle turbos i'd say hes going the good route.
the 305 was rated at what, 190hp? that's with all the restrictions on it. (emissions, exhaust). a properly built 3.8 can easily match or exceed that without turbos if it doesn't have the emissions crap and restictive exhaust on it.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i disagree, i have run them with the computer removed and switched to a vacume advance distributer and non computer carb, emissions removed and a salvage yard dual exhuast we snagged, hell we even tried q-jet carb and intake and it still wouldnt run well. my buddy still has the 4 barrel intake if anybody might want to try it. i am not saying that the turbo set up wont work but if i was going to spend 5 grand i think there are better ways to get a lot more power using a v8. for example there is a lt1 in the salvage yard right now that is in a wrecked 70,000 mile caprice that i can go get the engine for 185 and the transmission for 50 not mentioning i am getting money back on cores. so i take that keeping in mind i get every accessory, computer, harness, maf and anything atached to the motor, i would also snag the radiator for 25 bucks, take the whole setup and then have the computer and harness re owrked and setup to run independent for 250 bucks so i am sitting at just over 500 bucks at this point, add another 500 or so to take care of odds and ends such as exhaust and driveshaft and we afre looking at a grand and the lt1 in a caprice is rated at 260 and once you tear out emissions and throw some small bolt ons onto the engine you can get close to 300 hp pretty easy. i am NOT saying dont build a 3.8, i am saying that the money that it is going to take to get power is much cheaper with a v8 swap. plus i still cant get away from the sound of a healthy v8!

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
out of all the money you would spend to hop up that V6, you could spend on a V8 swap and achieve twice as much power

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
CutlassGrandNational said:
Why does everyone wanna rip out their 3.8's and stick 5.7's in? SELLOUTS! :p

I can't get a 3.8 to roar like a monster with 40 a twin set of 40 series motor.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
regalman4925 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Grand-National-Motor-Sand-rail-dune-buggy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107063QQihZ020QQitemZ300187332972QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I am disturbed that someone would put a GN engine in... a dune buggy.
:shock:

LemansWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2007
NJ
I vote for the turbo 3.8. Always wanted a GN since 86 but didn't grab one in the mid 90's when they could be had for a reasonable price. So I decided to build my own...sort of. I always loved wagons so I picked up a rust free 79 Lemans Wagon for $300. Since that time I've been collecting parts to build a budget 3.8T. I plan a blow through carb setup with methanol injection instead of an i/c. All said and done I plan to build the whole car for under $3k.
Here's the list of what I have so far:
84 regal 3.8 $10
86 low mile GN heads $50
85 GN turbo + rebuild kit $75
4 bbl intake $45
Carb hat $50
550 cfm carb free (on shelf)
2000 stall converter free (on shelf)
7.5" 3.23 rear $50
Exhaust I made for $180 in pipes & mufflers
I can build the methanol injection setup for under $100

So as you can see I have all the major parts except the manifolds.
I know the 85 turbo is the small one but I figure I can get about 250 hp out of this setup before I send a rod through the block on my $10 engine. And I can always upgrade the turbo later. This would put me right there with a stock 86-87 GN all the while having a blast doing it. And if it blows up I'll buy another $10 engine.

My other option was an 87 iroc 305 (215hp roller motor) in the corner of my garage with a 4bbl carb and I chose the 3.8T because it's much more fun sounding :lol: and much more unique.

I'm just looking to have fun. I already have a big block 72 chevelle that runs 12's on motor & 11's on the bottle. So this is just my little experiment in cheap turbo hot rodding.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
did not read everything but the 3.8 Turbo is a serious build but it can produce big power! I t really depends which way you go. It cost more but a EFI build would be more efficient and could tune it by laptop to get max economy or power and get past the smog tests. I will not tell you the sites but there are some dedicated to this stuff. It can get complicated but the possibilities are breath taking. the 3.8 easily out perform a built 350 with boost. and if you argue then you have not seen the 3.8 in action.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I also vote for the turbo 3.8L. I too have a cutlass with some Buick V6 DNA from the factory. The engine has been great to me, it's got about 65 000 miles on it and has never caused me a single problem. I have done nothing to the engine except regular maintenance. Would like to do the engine up a little, although would like to start with a good carb and intake first and see what that does. The turbo charging route is definetly very expensive but would probably be worth it. If anyone knows what a good carb/intake setup would be please post.

If you've got any pics of your 4 door cutlass put em up. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor