Can you fill a rust hole with lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
joesregalproject said:
First off, this is a fun car, not a show car. The car will never see rain or snow again. The car wont be raced, driven hard or beaten on. I don't have a welder and cant afford one. If I get 5 years out of it and then part it out, ill be happy.
I hear that, really, I do. I've been in the same spot myself. The problem is that you'd be lucky if that type of repair you're talking about lasts one year, forget five. Not trying to put you down in any way and like I've said before, I think it's great that you're taking on this project, but facts are facts. There is really only one way to fix it. I would hate to see you spend hard earned cash on paint only to have to re-do all the work or junk the car. If I were you, I would cut out the rust and buy some sheet metal at a hardware store. You should be able to form it yourself with some metal snips. Try and find someone with a welder to spot that in, then finish off with filler and sand it smooth. A good way to get the right shape is to use masking tape after you cut out the rust. Use a razor to cut the outline, then transfer the tape to your metal.

67rstbkt said:
I hear that, really, I do.

No, I don't think you do. This was a simple 'yes' or 'no' question, not 'explain how an educated proffessional bodyman would fix a rust hole'. I don't even know you and you are telling me how to do things. And this isn't the first time. I'm 15 and I have no source of income other than myself and with it I've built this car. Not many 15 year old kids can say that. Go nag someone else.

joesregalproject said:
67rstbkt said:
I hear that, really, I do.

No, I don't think you do. This was a simple 'yes' or 'no' question, not 'explain how an educated proffessional bodyman would fix a rust hole'. I don't even know you and you are telling me how to do things. And this isn't the first time. I'm 15 and I have no source of income other than myself and with it I've built this car. Not many 15 year old kids can say that. Go nag someone else.
In that case, the answer is no. This is a forum and you asked for help, next time don't ask and watch your tone kid. I was only trying to help, no need to get crazy

If you dont have a welder you can always use some panel bonding adhesive to install a piece of sheetmetal from inside of roof and put some fiberglass filler on the outside. Corvettes are built with such adhesives and hold really good.

I think the fiberglass will be your best route. You should at least cover any bare metal with a direct-to-metal primer before the fiberglass. Since the 'glass generates heat as it cures, it can also cause condensation at the metal. If you don't have DTM primer, you can use DTM paint, but you'll need to let it cure and then scuff before you fill.
Keep up the hard work, do you plan to paint it yourself?

You could just fill it with gorilla hair (Bondo w/ fiberglass in it) if your not looking for a permanent fix.
I will probably last as long as the lead and its easier to work with.
I used it on the bottom of a fender when I was a kid on my 65 Rustang fastback.
Lasted a least a couple years then I sold it. Still looked fine few years later when I saw it too.
Couldn't tell unless you stuck a magnet to it.
Just make sure the metal is stripped down and clean so you get a good bond.
The fillers they have now are probably much better than the bondo from 1985
Just don't tell nobody I told you so.
Use what ya got! That's how you learn 8)
Good Luck! Young Grass Hopper!
th

I think you guys have my idea. My plan for now is as follows- For now, do nothing. a few weeks before paint, i will pull out the quarter windows, grind the metal down clean, put a neutralizer/ rust inhibitor on both sides of the repair, then fill with tiger hair and smooth.

If you must do it that way, then at least back the bondo with aluminum tape to seal the back side. Bondo isn't really 100% water proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor