Canaderp Strikes Again

Nov 4, 2012
Looks like you guys in Canuckistan are gonna be getting some very watered down WD40 and brakleen next year.

VOCs are being targeted which means the products can't exist in their current form. WD-40 has said it will be reformulated to meet VOC laws, I don't see how it could not be inferior to the current product. I don't know what will happen with any of the other products. I sincerely hope the US doesn't follow suit.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Looks like you guys in Canuckistan are gonna be getting some very watered down WD40 and brakleen next year.

VOCs are being targeted which means the products can't exist in their current form. WD-40 has said it will be reformulated to meet VOC laws, I don't see how it could not be inferior to the current product. I don't know what will happen with any of the other products. I sincerely hope the US doesn't follow suit.
Just means for time being WD should be bought by the gross just to be safe.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

FFS.
I need to move. Anybody want a full-time permanent billet? I would consider exchanging my skills in trade.
😅

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
WD40 was reformulated years ago and hasn't been the same since. It is basically fancy diesel as it is. I will pick up a pail of brake cleaner before it becomes completely useless.

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

That guy used to be entertaining but he's gone off the rails in the last few years. Just the title of the video, "Banned in Canada". No.

In fact, WD-40 is already different in Canada compare to the US. The Canadian (and Latam) MSDS lists 65% VOC. The US version lists less than 25%. But he doesn't point that out.

My guess is that we just end up getting the exact same formulation that the US already gets.

• Informative
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
That guy used to be entertaining but he's gone off the rails in the last few years. Just the title of the video, "Banned in Canada". No.

In fact, WD-40 is already different in Canada compare to the US. The Canadian (and Latam) MSDS lists 65% VOC. The US version lists less than 25%. But he doesn't point that out.

My guess is that we just end up getting the exact same formulation that the US already gets.
Banned in Canada? Yes. The current product IS going to be banned in Canada. Not the stupid blue and yellow can. The stuff IN the can.

Gonna have to ask you to cite your source on the VOC for the US formulation.

Assuming you are correct about the the US formulation being <25%, Canada has restricted VOCs to less than <10%, so I don't think you'll be getting the same stuff.

But hey, if you like laws that increasingly restrict your access to purchase useful products that the rest of us like to have in the garage because you think WD40 is what is gonna kill the environment, I guess you're living in the right place.

Reactions: 2 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Banned in Canada? Yes. The current product IS going to be banned in Canada. Not the stupid blue and yellow can. The stuff IN the can.

Gonna have to ask you to cite your source on the VOC for the US formulation.

Assuming you are correct about the the US formulation being <25%, Canada has restricted VOCs to less than <10%, so I don't think you'll be getting the same stuff.

But hey, if you like laws that increasingly restrict your access to purchase useful products that the rest of us like to have in the garage because you think WD40 is what is gonna kill the environment, I guess you're living in the right place.

Canadian version (See section 9 - VOC content)

US Version (See section 9 - VOC content)

The changes are not a blanket 10%. across all products. In the upcoming changes, brake cleaner is being limited to 10%. WD-40 is likely categorized as a "penetrating lubricants designed primarily for loosening metal parts that have bonded together". We all know it has way more uses than that, but that's the generally accepted use - at least in my opinion. That particular category is being limited to 25%. (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2021-268/page-4.html#docCont). Generally it seems like we're simply moving to regulations that are more inline with what's already in the US, or possibly CARB, which I understand is the strictest in the US.

So again, my expectation is that we start receiving the same formulation that has been sold in the US for at least the last 2 years (given the date on the US MSDS is from 2021). Assuming the high VOC content version is the original, I don't recall any public outcry regarding the change in formula. We're an extremely small market, and typically we get the same products that are produced in the US (assuming a company decides it's even worthwhile to setup Canadian distribution). The only reason I can think of as to why they didn't change previously, is the VOC version is cheaper to make.

Again, no longer a fan of the guy in the video. The headline is WD-40 being banned, yet he doesn't address the specifics of WD-40. The brake cleaner he does address and has in his hand also doesn't match the SDS that he shows on the screen. The SDS for the product in his hand is here: (http://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--m-Lml7wM--/cyyb7wzip2mygaiyvynr.pdf). No acetone listed in the chemical composition section. I even checked a few others and don't see acetone is a main ingredient in any of their Brakleen products. I really can't tell which product SDS he's showing. It is from CRC, but it doesn't appear to be the product in his hand.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The brake cleaner is more of a concern. WD40 was changed years ago and sucked ever since. I see the usual 18.9L pail I buy is not in stock. For $80, it is a good price, $50+ more on Amazon, up here. They do have a 12 pack of spray can for $60 on Amazon, less than half the store price. I may go that route if the pail isn't available. I go through way too much brake and carb cleaner.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor