Cant BELIEVE it was in the junk yard! Ever had that experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
If that Camaro was a true split bumper with the extended grille opening, it was at the very least a Rally Sport and would have said Rally Sport on the front fenders. If it didn’t say Rally Sport, then it was an SS or Z/28 as those options were higher end than the RS. But the RS is what made it a split bumper. A friend of mine owned a ‘70 RS only car about 30 years ago.

We used to have a yard about 30 miles from me that had a section with older cars. It had a ‘58 Ford retractable hardtop that was really rotted away. The car sat there with the top in the half retracted position. The had a Corvair rampside pickup that had hit a pole or tree in the front. The damage wasn’t too bad, but it got junked. They had a ‘55 Chevy 2 door sedan that looked pretty complete minus the interior and not in too bad condition. The one I really regret not going back to get was a ‘58 Edsel Roundup 2 door wagon. It was in pretty nice shape. I didn’t know until later how rare they are. They were one year only and very low production. About 963 were made total.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
At a yard in Mount Troy/North Hills (Hoseks) I remember seeing a '69 Firebird Sprint that had it's OHC 6 just laying on the ground in front of it. The body was in great shape the first time I saw it around '91. Camaro guys raped it over the years. Last time I was there in 2000 what was left of it was there.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd say the craziest thing I have seen in a yard is an early 70s split bumper Camaro rotting away. No engine, transmission, interior or rear end. Just Sitting on top of 4 steel wheels. It even had the hump and hole in the floor for a stick. No idea what year or model but I like to tell myself it was a 70 Z28 ;)

So, back in about 1982, I hauled a real 70 Z28 RS shell with doors to the local scrap steel buyer. It had been rear-ended pretty good, and I raided most of the good stuff for my 78 Camaro.

Want to make your phone go nuts? Advertise that you're parting a 70 Z28 in your local newspaper (hey, it was 1982)

Pretty sure i still have the title and cowl tag around here somewhere

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
So, back in about 1982, I hauled a real 70 Z28 RS shell with doors to the local scrap steel buyer. It had been rear-ended pretty good, and I raided most of the good stuff for my 78 Camaro.

Want to make your phone go nuts? Advertise that you're parting a 70 Z28 in your local newspaper (hey, it was 1982)

Pretty sure i still have the title and cowl tag around here somewhere
I parted one of them at my uncle's place the air cleaner is on my truck

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Seen a few over the years like a mint 307 Regal and a rusty early carb turbo T type. Even see a yard that junked one of its own trucks. Recently saw a mid 90s 9C1 Caprice that was freshly junked by the Police which is really strange they kept a patrol car for that long. Looked like it hit something in the front that bent the rad and atf cooler. Somebody already took the oil cooler. Even though it had fresh police markings, the underbody was pretty rotted with a body mount that was swiss cheese. It had small chrome push bars I tried to pull, but the mounting nuts were badly frozen and a mounting stud snapped off, so I just left them. Plus they were a little bent and rusty. Shame because I saw identical ones on Ebay for $200.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yet I've been contacting yards all around me and they all tell me the same thing. No one is admitted in the yard and we don't save anything over 10 years old. Looks like I need a road trip to finde a hood that was produced by the millions from 1973-1980

Reactions: 1 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
We had a shredder up the block from where I worked on Long Island. Gershow recycling on Peconic ave. One day we were talking to my boss out front and he makes a sprint to his pickup and hauls *ss down the street. Me and our machinist are looking at each other thinking what the F? He saw a lime gold 67 Shelby GT350 on a flatbed headed to the shredder, he caught the guy before going in. The roof was damaged from another car sitting on top of it and the engine/trans were gone but it still had it's Shelby tag under the hood. After I moved away, my brother took my job, he saw a decent 64 Riviera headed that way on a wrecker, he caught the guy and bought that. Dual quad car crappy paint but otherwise decent down to the wire wheelcovers. Only thing missing was linkage to one carb, he got it running and driving and had it for several years until he came across his 66 Impala SS.

Reactions: 1 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
My local salvage yards in central illinois told me that if some body brought in an 80s g body that they go straight to the crusher and dont even put them on the lot. Thay all go by that 10 year standard. Its pretty sickening

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor